Saturday, July 28, 2012

Lazy Saturday

Today has generally been a lazy Saturday so far, which is nice since it gives us the chance to hang out as a family and watch the Olympics.  The kids even slept *slightly* later than usual, due to a late bedtime last night after hosting dinner for our good friends, the Listewniks.  While Julia woke up around 7:30, which is "sleeping in" for her, Madeleine slept past 8, waking up cheerful and on a mission. 

ME: (walking into her room) Good morning, honey!
MADELEINE: (holding out Cowie towards me) Mommy, I need to you wash Cowie's ear, because it's just really really dirty from just really EATING him.

At least she has finally acknowledged the fact that her habit of chewing on Cowie's ear when she's falling asleep is pretty germy and gross.

Before the Olympics coverage began, the girls got to watch gymnastic feats on their newest movie obsession: "McKenna: An American Girl."  In order to feel like part of McKenna's gymnastics team, Julia donned a black leotard and thumped her body around the living room, occasionally calling out to me: "Mama, is THIS a REAL gymnastics move?"  (the answer was always no.)  Madeleine decided that the best way to play make-believe gymnast was to dress up like this:


"Super UNDERWEAR to the rescue!!"  she yelled triumphantly.  "Super UNDERWEAR... I mean... SUPER ASTRONAUT to the RESCUE!!!"

To be fair, she really could pass as either Super Underwear or Super Astronaut given her get-up.  So I can see why she got a little mixed up over her Superhero nickname.

Once the actual Olympics started, the girls very excitedly watched the swimming heats, as well as the US vs Croatia womens basketball game.  Although a bit too young to root for a particular individual or team solely based on country - OR skill - Julia nonetheless picks her favorites in each event based on whether they're pretty OR whether she likes their name.  Current faves include basketball player Maya Moore (pretty), swimmer Caitlin Leverenz (name, since it happens to be that of her Auntie), and Amanda Beard (name, since it's among Julia's most beloved ones.)

In the middle of the swimming trials, Julia's newest favorite song, "Call Me Maybe," was played, which caused Julia to get up and hop around, singing along.  After the next swimming heat began, Julia turned to me and announced gaily, "Now since I heard that song, I feel like I want to do some galloping so I can THINK ABOUT IT!" 

Madeleine was a little slower to react, jumping up from coloring well after the song was done, while Julia and I were silently watching the swimming.  Next thing I knew, Madeleine was hopping around, chanting, "This is CRA-ZAH, call me MAH-BAH!"  She then turned to me to deliver the breaking news: "Mom!  They were playing 'Call Me Maybe!" 

Really?!?

I think, however, the afternoon's most memorable Rowe child quote comes from Julia.  As I tried to focus my attention on an interview of the women's gymnastics team, of which a teenager from our town is a member, I tried to ignore the distraction of Julia, climbing all over me and asking incessant questions.  Once the interview had finished, I let Ethan know about our town-mate's interview.

ME: Ethan, they just interviewed the US gymnastics team and talked to the girl from Needham.
ETHAN: Oh, really?
ME: Yeah.  I had a little someone asking questions in my ear the whole time though so it was hard to listen.  (turning to Julia)  Who was asking me  questions?
JULIA: Uh...Barack Obama?

Now, while the similarities between Julia and Barack Obama are undeniable, and it's an easy mistake to mix up the two, I was certainly not expecting that to be Julia's response.


1 comment:

  1. Hahaha. Julia I agree, he's been on TV too much of late and so has Mitt Romney! I'd rather watch the Olympics! Yay, Misty and Kerri, Ryan, Destinee and US Women's Volleyball, US Women's Basketball and US Archery and all the rest of the young athletes! There is more excitement to come! XOXO, Love, Yiayia

    ReplyDelete