Sunday, November 13, 2011

The most ridiculous game ever

I am stuck playing the MOST RIDICULOUS GAME EVER with the kids right now. Julia built herself a "secret hideaway" under the little art table by covering it with blankets (you may be familiar with this set-up as her "fort" or her "library" in past games.) She is now hiding under the table with a flashlight and yelling out from underneath, "Mama! Pretend you don't know where I am and you're trying to look for me!" Meanwhile, Madeleine is laying in the middle of the dining room on her belly, coloring in her Sesame Street coloring book. Here's a general recap of how the game goes:

JULIA: (shouting out from under the table) Mama! Try and find me!
ME: Hmmm, Julia disappeared. I wonder where Julia can be.
JULIA: Mama! Don't look under the table! Pretend you can't find me!
ME: Let's see. Where's Julia? Is she in the bathroom?
MADELEINE: She's under the BLANKET!
JULIA: MAAAADELEINE! Don't TELL her!
ME: Julia, calm down. Hmm, is Julia in the garbage?
MADELEINE: No, she's UNDER BLANKET!
JULIA: MAAAAAADELEINE! Stoooooop!
ME: Let me see... where can Julia be?
JULIA: (panicked) Mama, don't look under the blanket!

This has literally been going on for about 20 minutes. Julia has popped out from under the table and "surprised" us 3 times now. After we express our startled delight at finding her and commend her on fooling us, she then sneaks back under the table and announces, "Okay, Mama, pretend you forgot that I was under the table, and you can't find me again!"

ME: Hmmm, where's Julia? Is she in the dishwasher?
MADELEINE: She's under the BLANKET!
JULIA: (freaking out) MAAAAADELEINE! Don't SAAAAAAY it!

Seriously. Fun times. Love this game.

1 comment: