Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Julia reflects upon "The Lion King"

Julia watched "The Lion King" for the first time yesterday; though she has seen most of the classic Disney movies, I had held off on this one for fear it might be too scary. It turns out that was a wise decision, because she was even now too frightened by some scenes to watch and needed to hide her face on my chest. I wound up fast forwarding one of the chase/fight scenes, after which she was able to continue watching without freaking out.

Some remarks she made while watching the movie:

JULIA: Mom? Why do hyenas eat lions?
ME: Well, I don't think they usually eat lions, but I think they're going to try and eat Simba because he's just a little cub and he's smaller than them.
JULIA: Well, what do hyenas eat?
ME: They're scavengers, so I think they'll eat most anything they can.
JULIA: Oh yeah, you're right, because they said dinner is whatever's lying around.
ME: Yup, I heard them say that too.
JULIA: (thoughtful) Well, Mama, I think if there was a hyena at any zoo, that might be terrifying for the kids who are there, if they know that hyenas will eat ANYTHING they can.
ME: Well, you don't have to worry, because there are no hyenas at our zoo.
JULIA: I know, but I mean at ANY zoo. (thoughtful) Mom? Do hyenas that aren't in the zoo eat people?
ME: Well, hyenas live very far away from here. They live in Africa.
JULIA: I know, but do they go into people's backyards in Africa and eat the people?

My goodness. I thought she was going to be scared of Scar, not of the ridiculous hyenas.

Speaking of hyenas, this scene prompted a lot of laughs:

WHOOPI GOLDBERG'S HYENA: (to the other two hyenas who are covered in cactus needles) I ain't goin' in there, or else I'll look just like you, Cactus-Butt!
JULIA: (shocked but pleased face) What did she say?!?? Mama, she said Cactus...
ME: Butt?
JULIA: I wasn't gonna say that word, because I know it's potty talk. But Mama, I don't think that was really a cactus. I think it was just a pricker bush and they got prickers on their...
ME: On their bottoms?
JULIA: (relieved) Yeah.

Julia's favorite scene of all was one in which Pumbaa and Timon, the warthog and the meerkat whose existence in the movie is to provide slapstick humor, were initiating Simba into their "Hakuna Matata" world. During a close up scene on Pumbaa, Julia, who had been sitting in my lap, suddenly got up off the couch and started walking towards the tv. Usually when she spontaneously gets up it means she's scared and needs to get away from the tv, so I was confused as to her feelings and intentions.

ME: Julia, what's the matter? What are you doing?
JULIA: (turning to me sheepishly, inches from the tv) I wish I could stick my fingers in one of his nostrils.
ME: What!?
JULIA: They're so BIGGY!

Unfortunately, Pumbaa has not posted any nose-picker positions for hire, so Julia will have to satisfy herself with her own, teeny-tiny nostrils for the time being.


They're so biggy.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, I think Julia could fit her whole arm in those nozzels (courtesy of Auntie Shannon)!!! Love that Julia! Love, Yiayia <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. You refrained (until now) from showing her The Lion King because you thought she would be scared. I refrained because it sucks. Both of us were right.

    ReplyDelete