Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Julia does "Mad Libs"

Julia recently received a MadLibs Junior book as a party favor after going to a birthday party. While the MadLibs Junior actually supplies a list of adjectives, verbs, nouns, etc from which to choose when filling in the blanks, I thought Julia might have more fun if she got to think up the words herself. So each time I prompted her for a word to fill in a blank, I would give her a simple description of what the required type of speech means. For the most part, she gets the concept pretty well, although for some reason she feels the need to come up with a complete sentence rather than just one word. For example:

ME: Julia, can you give me an adjective? That means a word that DESCRIBES what something else looks, sounds, smells, or acts like.
JULIA: Umm... I think my mermaid ornament is SO pretty!
ME: Okay. So pretty is your word?

OR:

ME: Julia, I need another adjective.
JULIA: Umm... the sound that balloon makes when it hits the ceiling is WHACK!
ME: Uh... so, um, whacking?

Today I think she got so hung up on her made-up sentence that she forgot what part of speech she was actually supposed to give me:

ME: Okay, Julia, I need an adjective, which is a word that describes something.
JULIA: Umm... I hang ornaments on a CHRISTMAS TREE!
ME: (silence)
JULIA: Uh... wait a minute, that was a thing by accident.

Once she re-remembered what an adjective is, we were able to get going. Here is the complete MadLibs story, with all the blanks filled in. See if you can figure out which words were the fill-ins:

The sea cucumber is not a vegetable; it's a fancy creature that lives in the ocean. A sea cucumber looks kind of like a big pretty stocking. It's not a very smart creature and doesn't have a very big princess. It likes to tiptoe its food, but it doesn't do much else. However, there's one really cloudy fact about the sea cucumber: If another creature tries to hang it, it shoots its burp out of its housy-housy-house-mouse. What a sunny mess! So remember, if you ever meet a sea cucumber, don't try to jump or run it!

Madeleine, of course, got her hands on the MadLibs packet when we weren't looking, and she added her own contributions to one of the pages:

2 comments:

  1. You girls used to love Mad Libs. I found out they are now available online as well. Er, uh, excuse me, they are called Mad Glibs: http://www.madglibs.com/ Love you all, Yiayia

    ReplyDelete