Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Kiddie Convo

Listening to the kids' conversation in the back seat of the car on our way home from their Summer Explorations class:


JULIA: At recess, I played with a little girl who's going into second grade whose name is Lucy.
MADELEINE: Julia?  Is "Cindy" the nick name for "Lucynthia?"
JULIA: Madeleine.  Lucynthia?  That's not even a NAME. 
ME: "Cindy" is usually the nickname for "Cynthia."
JULIA: Or for Lucinda.
MADELEINE: I *like* the name Cindy.  It's such a cute and pretty name.
JULIA: Madeleine, one of the Mintz's friends is named Cindy.
MADELEINE: Julia?
JULIA: (rattling off more details about this imaginary friend of the imaginary Mintz)
MADELEINE: Julia?
JULIA: (still rambling on about the Mintz)
MADELEINE: Julia?  JULIA!
JULIA: What?
MADELEINE: When I grow up, if I get married, and I have a baby that's a girl, NO MATTER WHAT, I *have* to name her "May."
JULIA: Oh.  Is it because the Mintz's friend is named Lucinda May?

It's kind of amazing that they can even have a conversation when their minds are on such completely different planes as they talk to each other.  I mean, I guess Juila's mind is never completely OFF the Mintz, right?

In fact, this literally just happened.

ME: Julia, can you do a little more reading before your swim meet?
JULIA: Aww!  But I wanted to GALLOP!
ME: Okay, go ahead and gallop.  What, do you feel like you need to think about the Mintz right now?
JULIA: Mmm-hmm!  (starting her thumpety galloping through the living room and down the hallway.)

Apparently, the Mintz have a swim meet tonight as well, so I guess it's pretty important for Julia to do her gallop-think about them in order to get the meet off and running.  Maybe Madeleine's imaginary future daughter May will be at the meet, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment