Saturday, July 23, 2016

Bedtime Stall Fest

Tonight in stall tactics by Madeleine as I give her a bedtime snuggle...

MADELEINE: Mommy?  Do you like me?
ME: What do you think, you silly goose?
MADELEINE: Yes?
ME: Of course I do.
MADELEINE: Do you love me?
ME: Of course I do.
MADELEINE: So much? 
ME: Yup.
MADELEINE: Do you love me so much your heart feels like it could BURST?
ME: Mmm-hmm.  Do you love me so much your heart could burst?
MADELEINE: Mommy?  So.  Imagine there's a RECTANGLE, and....and...and...you CUT it in half...and...and...and...
ME: (trying to understand where this is going) You love me so much it can't fit inside the rectangle?
MADELEINE: No.  So...you cut it in HALF, and...and...and...
ME: Your love for me fits half the rectangle?
MADELEINE: And then, you have a SQUARE, and...and...and...
ME: Your love for me fits inside it?
MADELEINE: And...a square is another word for DIAMOND.  So you have a diamond!

I guess it had nothing to do with the topic of loving each other after all.


******Several moments of silence********


MADELEINE: Mommy?  My bum is itchy.
ME: Do you need to scratch it?
MADELEINE: Mmm-hmm.  (wiggling around to get at an optimal scratching angle.)  Mommy?  Do you know the ONLY PLACE where it's okay to scratch a BARE bum?
ME: Where?
MADELEINE: In the SHOWER.
ME: Oh.
MADELEINE: Because, it's like...WHO CARES?  You're gonna get clean anyway!
ME: Oh.
MADELEINE: And even if you already did it, you can just scratch your bare bum again!  Because you're STILL in the shower!


*******Several moments of silence*********

MADELEINE: Mommy?  Can I show you the MOST circular of the white circles on my blanket?
ME: Um...you're supposed to be going to bed.
MADELEINE: It's right here.  Look.  Wait.  It might be...THIS one.  I think...um...I think it's this one right here.
ME: (not even bothering to look) Oh, I see.  Okay, time to go to bed.



*******Several moments of silence*********


MADELEINE: Mommy?  On "My Little Pony," all the PRINCESSES have wings that are, like, this certain shape, and they're, like, PRETTIER than the wings on the regular Pegasi.
ME: No more talking.  Go to sleep.



********Several moments of silence*********


MADELEINE: Mommy?  I feel like I need to be doing something.
ME: What do you mean?
MADELEINE: I don't know.  Could be sleeping.  Could be playing.  Could be watching a show.  Could be drawing.  Could be-
ME: It doesn't matter what it is.  Just lay there and you'll get sleepy soon.
MADELEINE: Yeah.  It's *probably* sleeping, but it might be-
ME: No more talking.  Shh.  Time to sleep.
MADELEINE: Okay.  It's probably sleeping.


It better be.  I finally gave up on her settling down with me in there so I ditched her.  Now I guess she's stuck telling her random comments to her stuffed Jeezy, Saoirse or Puff-Puff in my absence, and at least they won't answer her back.

No comments:

Post a Comment