Monday, October 12, 2015

Smarts All Around

When Julia schools me on her math homework:

JULIA: (holding up her math homework) Does this look confusing?
ME: (half-paying attention as I was reading an article online) Uh, yup.
JULIA: (with barely contained pride) I can do it, though!
ME: You can?
JULIA: Yes.  I'll show you.  What's four plus fourteen?
ME: (distracted) Uh-huh.  Yup.  Ten.
JULIA: (silent disbelief) Four plus fourteen is NOT ten.
ME: Oh.  Uh, eighteen.
JULIA: (resuming her track) Right. And what's ten plus eight?
ME: Eighteen.
JULIA: Right.  So they all have to add up to the same NUMBER.

Math has never been my strongest subject.  Apparently I simply cannot try and do any kind of mathematical equation when distracted.


When I school Madeleine on basic vocabulary:

MADELEINE: Mama?  So.  On this new show we've been watching, called "Pixies," you wanna know how they pronounce "HEALTHY?"
ME: How?
MADELEINE: "WEALTHY."
ME: Honey, "wealthy" is a different word.  It means very rich.
MADELEINE: Oh!  I just thought that they didn't know how to pronounce "healthy."

Madeleine has always sort of lived with her own unique rules of logic.


And with that, I'll end this blog ghost.
By blog "ghost," I mean blog "post."  I just don't know how to pronounce "post."

No comments:

Post a Comment