Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Imaginations

Madeleine has used her Free Choice time at school the past two days making creatures out of fusable beads, and she has delightedly presented them to us upon returning home.

Yesterday she introduced us to Dolphine the Dolphin.  I guess she must have used up all of her creative energy coming up with that very clever name, because today she brought home a dog with the completely literal name of Dog-Dog.

From left to right: Dog-Dog and Dolphine



Julia has been exercising her own creative juices.  She and Madeleine spent most of their afternoon yesterday decorating cardboard people-cutouts and giving names to each character.  In fact, the cardboard people were such a huge hit that the girls continued to "speak" them to each other throughout dinner.  Julia was voicing the country grand maw "Grandma Cait," telling Madeleine's "Lilly" about her shy childhood.

GRANDMA CAIT: (in a heavy country twang) Ya know, I was really shy when I was a kid.  I was as shy as a freckled pittin' pear! 
JULIA: (bursting into giggles and returning to her normal voice) I have NO IDEA what that means!

I wish I could improv something as amazing as that.  Julia explained, "I didn't even KNOW what I was gonna say!" as she wondered on the nonsense that had just exploded from her mouth.

I think we have a new Rowe household colloquialism.  I know, for sure, that when I was a child (and even sometimes as an adult), I was a shy as a freckled pittin' pear!



No comments:

Post a Comment