Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Randoms

Various completely random things the kids have said today:

On our way to school:

MADELEINE: Mama?  How come not many people have kids?
ME: What do you mean?
MADELEINE: At the Starbucks, I never see anybody having KIDS there.
ME: Well, a lot of people stop at Starbucks on their way to work, so their kids are probably already at school or with a baby-sitter.

(Were we stopping in at the Starbucks at the time of her asking this?  Nope.  Were we driving by a Starbucks at the time of her asking this?  Nope.  Your guess is as good as mine as to what prompted this question.)


In the middle of eating lunch:

MADELEINE: Julia?  I can't find my Joker cards!
JULIA: (mischievously) I know!  I took them and you'll never find them!
MADELEINE: Give them back!  JULIA!  You're KILLING me for LIFE!
JULIA: (with a teenager-like, dramatic, aggravated sigh) FINE Madeleine, here you go. (tossing the Joker card at Madeleine.) I'm gonna take my lunch SOMEWHERE ELSE.  (stomping off to eat lunch while sitting at the piano.)

(In your FACE, Madeleine.  Julia has exiled herself as your punishment.  Because...uh...how DARE you want her to not be hiding your playing cards.  Now you're stuck sitting at the table with nobody bothering you, while Julia tries to balance her lunch plate on the piano keys.  She really showed YOU!)


In the middle of coloring in her Halloween activity book:

JULIA: Mommy?  I don't want to be Miss America!
ME: I don't either. 
JULIA: No, I said that I *don't* want to be her.
ME: I know you did.  What makes you not want to be her?
JULIA: I don't know.  I don't even know what she DOES.  Mommy?  What does she DO?
ME: If you don't know what she does, how are you so sure you don't want to be her?
JULIA: I don't know.  It just doesn't seem that GREAT to be Miss America.

(Although I am silently cheering her shunning of the pageant culture, I'm not sure it really counts as shunning if she has no idea what Miss America actually does.  But I'm not gonna argue with her here!)


Also in the middle of coloring:

JULIA: Mom?  You know how Shannon always says about animals: "Oh, da BOO-BOO HEADY!"
ME: Yeah?
JULIA: Do you think if, like, an ALLIGATOR tried to bite her hand off, she'd call it a BOO-BOO HEADY?
ME: Uh...probably not.
JULIA: (cheerfully) Oh!  (resuming her coloring.)


I have said it once, and I'll say it again: I would so love to spend a day - or even a few moments - inside the heads of these kiddos to understand WHAT ON EARTH actually goes through their wacky brains.

1 comment: