Monday, October 27, 2014

Adjusting

On the way to school this morning, Madeleine seemed excited to share the news of our big move.

MADELEINE: Mama?  If the other kids or the teachers say I'm MOVING, I'll say "It's the THIRD day!"
ME: It is the third day since we moved.  You're so smart!
MADELEINE: (self-satisfied) Yeah.  I was THINKING about it in my HEAD.

As opposed to thinking about it in her feet.

On the way home from school, however, Madeleine appeared to forget all about our new house.  As I pulled up our road and was about to turn into our driveway, Madeleine seemed confused.

MADELEINE: Mama?  NOW where are we going?
ME: Where do you think we're going, honey?
MADELEINE: (considering the evidence) Are we going to our NEW house?
ME: Why?  Did you think we were going back to our old house?

I don't think she *quite* understands the concept of our move yet.

Julia, for her part, also seemed to space out about where we were going after school.  I watched her walk right out of the school at dismissal, run past me, and disappear.  I searched the school grounds for several minutes, and when we finally found each other, it turned out that she had gone to wait at the old walking path we used to take to our condo.  I guess these kids are so used to their school-to-home routines that they can't break the automatic pattern yet.

I can understand why it's hard to switch gears in their brains, especially when the girls are using so many of their brain cells to think about things like this:

MADELEINE: Mommy?  If you didn't have your legs, your feet would be right HERE (pointing to her stomach.)  And then...you would have to pick me up to get me on the ground.  But then...(face drooping) how would I move my feet??  (silent contemplation)  Everyone would get ANNOYED of me!

or this:

MADELEINE: Mommy?  At the end of "Barbie and the Secret Door," she says "SATUR-STAGE," instead of "SaturDAY."
ME: Are you sure she doesn't say "Center Stage?"
MADELEINE: Yeah.  She says "Satur-Stage."  (thoughtful) But Mama?  What does "center stage" mean?
ME: It means in the middle of the stage.
MADELEINE: (pensive) Mama?  How about TOMORROW we listen to it again?  (breaking into song) I finally get on Satur-stage!

Uh, yeah.  I don't even need to listen to it tomorrow.  I think I can safely say it's definitely "center stage."

And then there's all the energy spent thusly:

JULIA: (in the middle of dinner) I need to go POOP!
ME: Okay, go ahead.

Several minutes later:

MADELEINE: I need to go POOP!
ME: Go ahead.  Use the other bathroom.
MADELEINE: (delighted) Now there's TWO poops at the same TIME!

It's pretty great to finally have two bathrooms, folks.  Double poop party at MAH HOUUUUSE!

No comments:

Post a Comment