Monday, October 13, 2014

Daughters

As I was rifling through boxes in the basement to figure out what to pack and what to chuck for our impending move, I came across some drawings from my youth.  The particular drawings I found made up my final collection of "Daughters"; as a child, my sisters and I had dreamed of our grown-up life and the children we would have.  This led us to draw pictures of our future daughters; while the names and looks of my imaginary daughters changed over the years, I was consistent in the idea that I would have four girls.  (As an adult, I have determined that half that number is the perfect amount of children for us, but I did live out my dream of having daughters!)

I thought Julia might enjoy seeing my drawings, so before packing the "Daughters" folder, I let her take a look through.  I should have known what would come next.

JULIA: (a big, broad smile spreading across her face) *I* should do this, too!

And so it began:

"My Daghter Colecton"

Does it come as a surprise to anyone that Julia also decided to have four daghters in her future life?


So, let's find out what Julia decided to name her daghters:

Emily 9th (freshman)
Grace 7th
Amanda and Mary 5th

The numbers correspond to the grades of each girl.  Julia informed me that Amanda and Mary are twins, which would explain why they're both in 5th grade.


Picture #1:
Here, Julia depicts her daghters on vacation at The Whale's Tale.  The older girls are just lounging in the hot tob, talking about boys.  (JULIA: Well, because that's what TEENAGERS do!) while the younger twins seem content to stand around with their lips puckered, looking FIERCE.


Picture #2:
Here, the daghters (minus one) are riding the water slides at The Whale's Tail.  Apparently the twins are riding in a compression tube that elongates and narrows their bodies to an extremely dangerous degree.  (Although Julia tells me that they're simply racing each other on the Speed Slides.)  I don't know what the missing daghter is up to, though I suspect it was Julia's intent to include her in the picture until she decided she was tired of drawing.  (JULIA: Actually, Mom, I think I wanna GALLOP.)


It wasn't long before we had yet ANOTHER daghter-creator in the house:

Take a look at Madeleine's daghters, folks!  Cherry of the Pippi Longstocking hair, and her big, mean old bossy sister Lila.


Page 1 tells us that this is gonna be a WHOLE different kind of daghters book from Julia's fun-in-the-sun vacation drawings:

It looks to me like Cherry is sticking pins in her Lila Voodoo-Doll.  That will serve that mean, bossy old tyrant right.

Sheesh.  Can't wait to see the rest of this loving family book.

No comments:

Post a Comment