Friday, October 24, 2014

New House!

We are here in our new house!  At long last!







As you can see, I made sure to take care of the important things: Halloween decorations.  Because with only a week to Halloween, the kids are going to disown me if I don't get some decorative stuff out.  Who cares about unpacking boxes of functional things like cooking-ware, right? 

Speaking of getting the important things taken care of, I made sure Julia's bedroom was ready for her:






Thanks to some truly wonderful friends in town, both girls were picked up from school by moms I know and trust, so that Ethan and I could deal with all of the day's requirements.  Late this afternoon, after I picked up Madeleine from her friend's house, we stopped by our old condo to grab a few things (the movers we hired did their job, but Ethan and I have not yet transferred all loose ends for which we are responsible; luckily we have until Sunday to be completely moved out!)  Upon entering our condo, devoid of furniture, Madeleine was stunned.

MADELEINE: Hey Mama!  Our TABLE is gone!
ME: That's because it's at our new house, honey.
MADELEINE: (brightly) Oh!

On our way out of the condo, I asked Madeleine to grab the pile of mail that had been delivered for us.  Madeleine wisely considered the problem as she grabbed the mail bundle.

MADELEINE: Mama.  You'd better TELL the mailman that we live in our new house now.  So that he knows to bring our mail there.

The irony of this comment by my 5-year-old is that Ethan and I both forgot to set up a forwarding address as yet.

As we drove towards the new house, Madeleine was obviously completely missing the whole idea of what movers are and what they actually do.  The physical absence of our table in our condo was clearly unsettling to her.

MADELEINE: I wonder HOW ON EARTH our table got from our OLD house to our NEW house!

It's magic, honey!  I just waved my magic wand, said a spell, and POOF!  The table disapparated and reappeared in the new house!

Julia had a clearer understanding of the whole ordeal, and was absolutely thrilled to come to our new home after I picked her up from her play-date.  As she announced to me after about a half hour in the house, "Mommy?  I don't feel like we just moved into this house.  I already FEEL like it's our home!"

And as you can see, the kids have settled in just fine so far, because they have all the things that really matter:


Many many day of unpacking lie ahead, but at least we are finally home, sweet home!

No comments:

Post a Comment