Monday, March 31, 2014

Madeleine Gets (More) Creative

Madeleine found many different outlets through which to display her creativity today, from pretend-play games to artwork to music making. 

To begin with, she hand-crafted a card for her friend, whose birthday is tomorrow.  The illustrations are complete with a picture of Madeleine and her friend in what appear to be penis-hats:







Even more enticing are the wiggly little sperm balloons on the card's cover:





I bet her friend is going to love this masterpiece. 


Later in the day, Madeleine launched right into a music lesson, in which she taught herself how to play the pennywhistle.  And by taught herself, I mean she blew with all her might into the pennywhistle over and over again, emitting the exact same shrill, high-pitched shriek for about 30 minutes straight.  Now, she didn't JUST wail on the penny whistle non-stop, of course.  She stopped to make really important comments, like, "Mama!  Did you hear me practicing my FLUTE?  I was playing 'The Big House!"  ("The Big House," a song from the movie we recently saw, "Muppets Most Wanted," does actually have more of a melody than one repeated pitch ad nauseum, but I guess Madeleine doesn't seem to realize that.)

The pennywhistle fun continued as I started cooking dinner and Julia sat down to practice her math facts with Daddy.  Julia wound up in tears of frustration, and just completely melted down despite Ethan's attempts to walk her through the subtraction problems.  I can't really understand why Julia was upset.  It's not like anything MAJORLY ANNOYING AND DISTRACTING was going on in the adjacent room or anything.

I had to interrupt my dinner cooking at one point, because Madeleine ran into the kitchen, eager to show me something really important.

MADELEINE: Mama!  Mama!  Do you wanna come and see where I keep all my FLUTES?  Come and see where I keep all my flutes Mama!  But...I only have ONE flute.

So I went to see where she keeps all her one flutes.  It turns out she keeps them on my music stand of flute music:

Binder of flute music and Madeleine's pennywhistle on my music stand


Anyway, the pennywhistle marathon finally did - thankfully - come to an end, so we were granted a small amount of peace and quiet before the kids had melt-downs over cleaning up the ginormous mess of toys in the living and dining rooms. 

And just in case you want a visual of the master artiste and flautist herself, you can see that she chose to actively express her fashion creativity as well this afternoon:

Cinderella crown, long-sleeved tee and pajama pants.  I know you all want an ensemble JUST like it!

2 comments:

  1. That's the crown she was wearing in bed when I went in to say goodnight to her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You of all people should recognize that those girls in the picture are wearing WITCH hats!

    ReplyDelete