Monday, March 3, 2014

Artwork and Pretend Play

When I dropped Madeleine off at school today, I picked up a pile of finished artwork from her mail pouch.  Among many various creations I found this not-at-all creepy drawing:






I wasn't even sure I wanted to know what the flying, vacant-eyed creatures were supposed to be.  But my curiosity got the better of me so I wound up asking her all about the picture once she was home from school.


ME: (pointing to the colorful person standing front and center) Madeleine, who's this?
MADELEINE: Um...Emma.  I mean...EMILY.
ME: Oh.  What's she doing?
MADELEINE: Uh, she's just standing there, smelling the cookies that her mom made.
ME: (pointing at the demented flying henchmen) And what are these?
MADELEINE: (brightly) Babies!
ME: Uh...okay.  Why do they have wings?
MADELEINE: Because they're on the ceiling.  And the walls!
ME: Why are they on the ceiling and the walls?
MADELEINE: Because.  She painted them.  With her sister.  And her mom.  And her dad.  Her dad is a GREAT artist.  He's done a LOT of stuff, that's even LONGER.
ME: And what is Emily holding?
MADELEINE: Oh.  She's holding the LIGHT SWITCH!
ME: Why?
MADELEINE: Because.  She's making everything TURN OFF.
ME: And why is she making everything turn off?
MADELEINE: I dunno!

Well, at least Emily isn't talking to a doorknob and thinking it's her teacher.

Later in the day, Madeleine switched gears and began playing at (and under) the dining room table with her Loving Family figurines.

MADELEINE: (popping up from under the table, holding one of the Loving Family daughters) So Mom.  I thought I was playing REGULAR, but it turns out I was playing "The Chamber of Secrets!"  And I was like, "Ooh!  That's scaring me!"

Ugh, that's the worst.  I hate when I think I'm playing regular but I realize I'm *actually* playing "The Chamber of Secrets" and I wind up scaring myself.

I guess she had enough of the fright-fest, because before I knew it she was back to artwork, creating yet another drawing of Elsa from "Frozen":



I like how she always draws music notes coming from Elsa.  It pretty much guarantees I'm going to have "Let it Go" stuck in my head for the rest of the day.  If only I could...uh...let it go.

3 comments:

  1. Now that Elsa's an Oscar winner, I have a feeling we won't be able to let it go of Let It go for a lot, lot, lot longer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had it in my head ALL NIGHT LONG.

      Delete
    2. Me too. I couldn't fall asleep last night because it was playing over and over and over and over in my mind!!

      Delete