Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Madeleine has been firmly on a Thanksgiving strike ever since Halloween.  In her mind, there are only two holidays between September and January: Halloween and Christmas.  In fact, when other people, including her preschool teachers, swim instructor, and cashiers in the store, have wished her a happy Thanksgiving, Madeleine did not fail to stubbornly respond, "Happy CHRISTMAS!"

However, this morning, Madeleine was finally allowing herself to feel the Thanksgiving spirit a little bit.  And by feeling the Thanksgiving spirit, what I mean is feeling the need to have Mommy wake up and join the family because it's Thanksgiving. 

ETHAN: Remember, honey, we're going to let Mom sleep?
MADELEINE: (worriedly) But...is she going to sleep the WHOLE Thanksgiving??

Don't worry, Madeleine.  Julia had ALREADY woken me up to come in to the bedroom and say, "Mommy!  It's THANKSGIVING!"  So, no, I definitely am not sleeping the whole Thanksgiving.

Anyway, I can see why Madeleine wanted me to wake up so badly, because she had some really important news to pass along to me.

MADELEINE: So Mama?  I still got that WIGGLY tooth.

Really??  Now, I have to say, we were all quite surprised last night when we discovered Madeleine is following her sister's freakishly early teeth-loss timeline, and has her first loose tooth.  But MAN.  Did I expect the loose tooth to STILL be wiggly in the morning?  What a surprise!  I thought it would have gone back to normal overnight.  I mean, loose teeth don't just stay loose until they fall out, do they??

At any rate, Madeleine's energy then focused on a really fun game, in which she attempted to jump from our step-stool onto my body (which I was trying to rest) on the couch.  Each jump was performed differently, and my watchful gaze and subsequent praise was a necessity. 

Then things got REALLY wild and crazy.

MADELEINE: Okay, Mama, now I'm gonna do a REALLY tricky jump.  It's called a TONGUE jump.  And, I guess you have to, like...BALANCE on your tongue!  Can you help me do it?

I did not help her do it.  In fact, I discouraged her from doing it at all.

Julia was less into jumping and more into making little Thanksgiving arts and crafts all morning.  We Rowes are the lucky recipients of some really sweet "thankful" poems, written by Julia.

"Evin though you like to danc you also like to prans.  To Daddy."

Aw, yeah, Daddy's not afraid to be known for his love of prancing.  Or his love of dancing.  I mean, that's one thing that REALLY sticks out about Ethan; how much he loves to boogie down.  He's like a dancing fool, I tell you!


"Seeing kindis in your eyes makes my fill with priyd.  To Mommy."
Aww.  You fill MY with priyd, Jules!



"Evin though you like Emily Binx your still my littel Madeleine.  To Madeleine."
I sure am thankful we have our little Madeleine.  And I'm EXTRA thankful that she's not Emily Binx, because I would MUCH rather have my weird little goofball of a daughter than a ghost from the 17th century whose life was sucked out of her by three witches. 


So, despite all the sleep deprivation and the constant duties of parenthood, I could not be more thankful for my two darling daughters and my most wonderful husband!  Happy Turkey Day, all!

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful heartfelt comments! Happy Thanksgiving to my dear daughter and her family! XOXO

    ReplyDelete