Saturday, November 9, 2013

Daylight Savings Time Woes

Ohhhh, Daylight Savings Time, the bane of my existence...

Not only do I dislike the fact that it gets dark before I even leave work to head home each day, but the kids just do not seem to adjust their internal clocks, despite what the physical clock says.  We've now entered the happy period during which the children wake up as soon as the sunlight peeks through their shades into their bedrooms, because their bodies are still operating on the OLD time, making things feel an hour later.  So sure, waking Mommy up at 6:20 on a weekend feels perfectly normal.  For them.  NOT for me.

Madeleine was the culprit this morning, bounding into my bedroom full of joy to be awake and ready to start her day.  Here's the hitch, though: she did not want to start it without my company.

ME: Madeleine, why don't you play in your room for awhile?
MADELEINE: Uh, no, I just want to play in here with YOU.
ME: Well, why don't you go downstairs and play?  There's not much to do in here.
MADELEINE: Well, I want you to come down WITH me!

Madeleine ultimately decided to pull her baby book down from the shelf and sit on the bed with me, flipping through the pages and remarking over the various pictures of her baby self.

MADELEINE: Hey Mama!  Look at THIS picture!  Isn't it CUTE?
ME: (laying on my side, eyes closed, trying to sleep) Mmm-hmm.
MADELEINE: And Mama!  Look at THIS!
ME: Mmm-hmm.
MADELEINE: No, Mama!  You have to LOOK!  Open your EYES, Mama!
ME: (briefly opening one eye) Oh, cute.
MADELEINE: And look at THIS one, Mama!
ME: Mmm-hmm.
MADELEINE: (exasperated) MAMA!  Don't just keep CLOSING YOUR EYES and saying "Mmm-hmm" over and OVER again!

After that, I made sure to pop open an eye anytime Madeleine exclaimed over a picture.  But she was too smart for me.  After she'd check to make sure I had my eye open, she'd turn back to admire the picture, then whip her head back around to catch me in the act of re-closing my eyes.

No rest for the weary, man.

When 7:15 rolled around, I passed Madeleine duty onto Ethan, so that I could catch a bit more sleep.  Julia also woke up around that time, and the girls headed downstairs to stomp around the house with heavy-footed thumping steps.  Eventually, they quieted down as they settled in to watch a show and make some artwork.  Julia got really ambitious and decided to do her entire class project by herself, without adult supervision.  This project is due in a few weeks, and is an "About Me" sort of poster that each child completes for his or her birthday week.  Julia and I had talked about the photos she might want on her poster, and I placed an order for said photos to be printed at CVS last night.

When I woke up, Julia proudly displayed her poster for me:





 JULIA: Mom!  So: the boxes that I drew are where I want the PICTURES to go.

It would have been really helpful if she'd made the boxes the actual size of the 4X6 photos I had ordered.

I give her an A for initiative, though!  And after a little scissor work (and we all know how poorly I cut, so I think I deserve an A for overcoming my deficiency here!), I managed to make the pictures work in a not-too-shabby way:







A few box edges sticking out from behind the photos, and I had to cover up the swirly border in one spot, but a pretty decent collaboration, no?

At any rate, we Rowes are all over-tired and not adjusted to the time change yet, despite it being a week since the clocks turned back, so we have had a low-key day at home.  Activities included a family game of Harry Potter Trivial Pursuit, as well as some holiday fun viewing "Dora: Thanksgiving" and "Muppets Christmas Carol."  Here's hoping that we will all get some much-needed sleep tonight!

2 comments:

  1. You should've just kept your eyes closed and said "I'm loooking at you!!" when Madeleine was saying that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAWKLEGHTALWKEHTALKWEHTKAWAET good one Catalyn!!!!!

    ReplyDelete