Saturday, June 22, 2013

We're Having a BBQ

The school year is almost over, summer has begun, and Ethan's birthday is coming up next week.  To celebrate all of the above, we Rowes decided to invite some family friends over for a barbeque tomorrow afternoon.  Ethan is busy washing off chairs and backyard toys after leaving them latent all winter, I have been baking desserts, and Julia has been hard at work making some special party decor:


*Just in case* our near and dear friends aren't aware whose house they are at when they arrive tomorrow...

Meanwhile, Madeleine decided to be my little baking helper, also offering her constructive criticism as we went along.  Because I was distracted by Madeleine's attempts to be a little TOO helpful, I accidentally pulled a Rachel from "Friends" and started off with one recipe, only to accidentally flip to another recipe.  When I realized that I had made this mistake, I loudly lamented my goof-up, then decided to throw together the rest of the ingredients for the second recipe, bake it, then start afresh with the correct recipe I had initially intended upon.  Madeleine made sure to show her distrust of my competence after my big recipe swap, periodically asking me things like, "So Mama.  Are you sure you did the right recipe this time?"  and "Well Mama.  WHY did you do the WRONG RECIPE?"  Her commentary was also seasoned with remarks about my accidental addition of egg-shell to the batter, despite the fact that I had promptly removed it.  "So Mama.  Why did you get an EGG-SHELL in there and then you got it out?"  "Mama?  How come GROWN-UPS get an EGG-SHELL in there?"

Madeleine in the Peanut Gallery

Julia is anxiously awaiting the chance to see her friends at tomorrow's bbq, although she has quite a conundrum to work out: because she has ongoing pretend-play games with BOTH Nate and Jovina, she can't decide which game she wants to organize tomorrow.  As she puts it, "Well, I don't even KNOW which thing I want to play, because, like, BOTH games are so FUN."  Here's a quick description of both, in case any of you readers can steer her in one particular direction.

Game #1 is a game she and Nate created some months back, called "Miss."  I think I have mentioned "Miss" in previous posts, but to refresh your memories, it's a game in which Nate and Julia (and any other kids who want to play) are spies, trying to outsmart the infamous Miss.  Miss is annoying because she calls the police department OVER and OVER with completely ridiculous things to say, so Nate and Julia are stuck answering her millions of calls.

Doesn't that sound like a barrel of laughs?  I can't imagine what would be more fun than a game in which the players are forced to answer imaginary, annoying phone calls.

Game #2 is one that Jovina and Julia played, along with Wyatt, Madeleine and Quinn, last time we had them over.  Julia refers to this particular game as "Docking Dicks."  As we walked home from school a few days ago, Julia loudly and excitedly argued the pros of both games, and what a dilemma it was to try and figure out which one she wanted to play.  "Well, I like playing 'Miss,' because, like, it's so FUNNY when Miss keeps calling, but..." (at this point we were walking directly by a neighbor's house, with several household members out in their yard in plain earshot) "I really do LOVE to play 'DOCKING DICKS' because that's what Jovina and I were doing last time, going around with our DOCKING DICKS and our DUTCHES."

Hey, there, neighbors.  My kindergartener is just talking about dicks, no biggie.

A few more sentences about "Docking Dicks" clarified exactly what the docking dicks are.  "We need our DOCKING DICKS and our DUTCHES dedause dour DEAN DOTHER deeps DURNING DOWN DOUR DOUSE."

Despite her pros and pros lists, Julia still couldn't come to a decision.  It's a tough choice, man.  "Miss" or "Docking Dicks."  I can't say I could pick between the two, myself.

Since the girls have also decided that part of their efforts to help us get ready for tomorrow is to make a huge, enormous mess out of our house, they have already been in and out of several dress-up outfits today, and recently took my yoga mat up to the living room from the basement to put on a dance show.  It was absolutely insisted upon that I sit in the audience while the girls performed a brand new kind of dance, made up by Julia.  This new dance is called "Powaiahum" (my best approximation of its spelling; it was pronounced like "po-why-a-hoom"), and let me tell you, IT. WAS. AWESOME.  Totally the next new dance craze.  Nothing like watching two girls in leotards flapping around on a yoga mat, occasionally bonking into each other, or getting a butt to the face, or falling over and thumping onto the ground.  I'm sure Julia would be willing to teach some Powaiahum classes for any of you who want to learn:

Powaiahum dancers

And now that the girls are outside "helping" Ethan clean the backyard stuff (aka running around in bathing suits spraying each other with the hose), I am off to attempt to clean up the endless piles of indoor stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment