Tuesday, June 18, 2013

More Poems and More Drawings

Julia continued working on her gentle poems after she got home from school yesterday.  Among the newest additions are:


Comes and Gos

"The days come and the days go.  Sing songs of ocwrd silns."
(That last phrase, for those of you unlearned in kindergarten spelling, is "sing songs of awkward silence.")
Wow.  This is a pretty depressing poem.  It just leaves me with a sense of emptiness and lack of purpose.  The days just continue passing, with nothing but ocwrd silns to sing of.  Just.  WOW.


Find Love

"I will find love someday.  I know I will.  It is the only thing that I cood want."
Okay, this one is a little more hopeful.  I mean, I feel bad for the person whose point of view we're hearing, since (s)he has not yet found love, but at least this isn't just the meaningless passing of time, full of ocwrd silns.  At least this character KNOWS (s)he wants something more out of this life, and is able to look at the days yet to come with confidence that love will be someday be found.

I don't know if I can handle these deep and heavy poems, Julia.

Madeleine has continued with her own artwork, creating this mermaid masterpiece earlier today:


This mermaid is named Pearl, and she has a rainbow tail.  She also has a ponytail, which Madeleine insisted I draw.  The *first* ponytail I drew was completely unacceptable in Madeleine's eyes, hence the big black blob to the left of the mermaid, which was intended to cover up the offensive ponytail.  It kind of looks like some sort of dark demonic shadow that's about to devour the mermaid, but of course, it wouldn't be a Madeleine drawing without SOMETHING dark and creepy in it.

Madeleine also drew a picture inspired by the fact that Julia started a new "Ivy and Bean" book today.  Behold, Madeleine's picture of Ivy and Bean jumping on a trampoline in the forest:


I was pretty impressed with this drawing.  Despite the fact that both Ivy and Bean appear to have at least three eyes apiece, and that Ivy is a hulking, beastly giant who will probably break the trampoline, this is really a pretty good drawing for a kid Madeleine's age.  I was even able to recognize the big black object as a trampoline before Madeleine explained what this was a picture of.

I think Ivy ought to see a doctor about those massively swollen hands, however.

At any rate, Madeleine is, at the moment, bellowing out the words to "Rainbow Connection," with a few added lyrics like, "and that's the CROOOSSS with JEEEEESUS on it!" as she thumps and crashes her ungraceful body around the living room, so I think I'm going to go see if I can convince her to sing songs of ocwrd silns instead...

1 comment: