Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Costumes

After a long hiatus (so that I could restore my sanity), the girls were finally allowed to watch "Hocus Pocus" again today.  Never fear, despite the month off from viewing it, Madeleine was still able to quote lines verbatim along with the characters.

Furthermore, Madeleine was SO excited about the movie that she decided to watch it dressed like this:


The book she's holding is her spell book.
MADELEINE: Mama?  I need a GROWN-UP book for my spell book.  Is that OKAY?

I amused myself a little by giving her the Kurt Vonnegut book "Hocus Pocus."

Here she is canting a spell from her (closed) book:

Even though she's pretty interested in being a witch at the moment, Madeleine doesn't seem to suffer from the her sister's same desperate desire to be a "Hocus Pocus" character for Halloween.  In fact, she has other plans in mind.  Running to me in full witch regalia, she announced, "Mama?  For Halloween, I'm gonna be TOOTHLESS!"

Toothless, for those who may wonder, is the gimpy dragon from the movie "How To Train Your Dragon."  Madeleine is pretty INSESSED with him.  So much so that she was determined to draw him today, which meant that she insisted that I draw him after her attempts failed.  I have mentioned in past blog posts how atrocious my art skills are.  Therefore, Madeleine spent a lot of the time that I was drawing on the brink of angry tears over my ineptitude.

MADELEINE: Mama?  Now can you draw his HEAD?
ME: (beginning to draw)
MADELEINE: (screeching) NO!  MAMA!  That's NOT how his HEAD is supposed to LOOK!

And so forth.

At long last, she was satisfied enough with my efforts, and was able to add her own touches, giving Toothless a face, fiery flames and marker colors.  What do you think?  Is our Toothless a pretty spot-on imitation of the real Toothless or what?:

Toothless, by DreamWorks Animation

Toothless, by Courtney and Madeleine Rowe

No comments:

Post a Comment