Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day

At long last, Valentine's Day is here, and Julia was in full-out Valentine mode from the moment she woke up.

"Mommy?  Can you pack me a HEART-SHAPED sandwich in my lunch today?" she inquired eagerly. 

I did my best:




Apparently it was a big hit.  As we walked home from school this afternoon, Julia chirped merrily, "Mom, do you know what I NOTICED about my sandwich?  Because you cut it in a heart shape it was SMALLER than my usual sandwich, so I, like, ate it FASTER.  Or...maybe I was just a HUNGRY GIRL."

The girls both went off to school dressed in heart-patterned shirts.  Here is Julia, posing obediently for me:




Madeleine, who has been sick this week and was barely on the mend enough to go to school today, refused to take part in the heart-shirt picture.  Because, as she told me in all her whiny-pants contrariness: "Well Mama.  It's NOOOOOT Valentine's Day today!"

I did manage to get a picture of her after school, when she was vastly more agreeable:


Both girls came home from school with all sorts of handmade Valentines for the rest of the family.  Among Madeleine's crafts was this symmetrically-painted heart, part of her preschool unit on symmetry:





The preschool newsletter with "Notes of the Week" discussed the symmetry unit, encouraging parents to "ask your child about symmetry."

So I did.

ME: Madeleine, can you tell me what symmetry is?
MADELEINE: Symmetry is...SYMMETRY.

I guess I can't argue with that.

Julia spoiled us rotten with ALL KINDS of Valentines.

For Ethan:

I have to agree with her there.  I love Ethan as the moon, as well.

For me:


How sweet.  I am so touched that she loves me more then.

Also for me: this snazzy heart-shaped pin:

AND this banner:




For Madeleine:
ME: Wow, Madeleine, what a beautiful picture Julia made for you! 
MADELEINE: (staring at it impassively)
ME: (enthusiastically) So, what are you going to name that beautiful princess?
MADELEINE: Um, Mialakatase.

Okay, then.

Anyway, my girls and husband sure treated me like a queen today.  I am overwhelmed by the amount of handmade gifts Julia heaped upon me.  I can say with 100% certainty that I love ALL of my gifts as the moon and that I love them more then. 

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment