Sunday, February 3, 2013

Band Concert

This afternoon, I had a concert with my town's community band.  While our ensemble usually rehearses and performs in the summer only, we put on a special winter concert with a few highlights from last summer's performance.  In the summer, we wear our standard band t-shirts and khakis, but for this indoor performance, we dressed in formal concert attire. 

Madeleine was awed when she saw me all dressed up.
MADELEINE: (in wonderment) Mom?  Are you getting MARRIED?

I can see why she was confused.  Take a look at me: do I not look like the epitome of a bride about to walk the aisle or what:





Madeleine was so inspired by my dress that she suddenly, urgently needed to change into a dress herself.  Unfortunately, we didn't actually have time for that, as we were already running late and I needed to get over to the high school to meet up with the other band members.  I explained to Madeleine that only the people going up on stage needed to wear dresses, and that the people in the audience didn't need to dress up.

She took it really well:


I know.  The bitter disappointment of not being able to wear a dress can be almost too much to bear sometimes.

Luckily, Madeleine managed to compose herself once she was seated in the audience, and she and Julia both were on absolutely wonderful behavior throughout the performance.  I asked their opinion once the concert was over, and got very different responses.  I should know better than to ask Julia's opinion of anything, as she is so afraid of telling a lie that she is incapable of EVER being sure whether or not she likes anything.

ME: So, tell me girls?  What did you think of the concert?
JULIA: (nervously) Uh...do you THINK I liked it? 
ME: How would I know?  Do YOU think you liked it?
JULIA: Well...sometimes I was laying my head down on Daddy, and, like closing my eyes.  I was also doing something, like, maybe like the CONDUCTOR.

Not an ambiguous answer at all.

At least Madeleine, despite the initial tears, was able to offer a more solidly formed opinion:
MADELEINE: (exuberantly) I think it was BEAUTIFUL.  I liked the MUSIC!
ME: What was your favorite part of the music?
MADELEINE: Uh, the CONCERT!
ME: What was your favorite instrument?
MADELEINE: Uh...your flute!

So while one of my children is honest to a fault, the other isn't afraid to stuff me full with compliments. 


Hey, I'll take it.  A bride is supposed to be provided with all kinds of flattery at her wedding day, right??

No comments:

Post a Comment