Thursday, May 10, 2012

Kids in Concert

When I returned home from work today, I saw the tell-tale sign that Julia had put on another Goldens performance: her "stage" of two little chairs was set up in its usual place.  Our baby-sitter commented to me on the whole ordeal, and I discovered that until today, Tamara had never before had the pleasure of attending a Goldens concert.  "She makes up so many songs!"  Tamara remarked.  "And they're really GOOD!"

Yes, I have finally come to realize that the excessive amount of singing that the kids do is not typical.  Having a composer/singer mother and an improviser/singer father, I suppose it should be no surprise that our children are constantly bursting out in made-up song, no matter where we/they happen to be.  On the toilet.  In the grocery store.  In the middle of church.  In their beds at night when they're supposed to be sleeping.  Ethan and I have joined genetic forces to ensure we produce the most obsessively musical children on the face of the earth.

I had the lucky privilege of hearing a few Goldens songs this evening; while I only videotaped two of them, I can assure you I got to hear many, many more.  Here, in their most recent leg of their concert tour, are the Goldens:




Madeleine wanted her own turn to perform as well.  I have resigned myself to the fact that our whisks will never be acknowledged as such by the kids, and instead they will henceforth be known as "microphones."  As in:

MADELEINE: (running into the kitchen) Uh, Mommy, can you get me my MICROPHONE?

I unfortunately didn't get my video camera out in time to record Madeleine's first song, which was an original composition, filled with her new favorite lyric: "Justified it!  Justified it!"  Instead, what I got was her somewhat mangled version of "Jingle Bells," since of course, in the middle of May, that's the logical song to perform in concert:



Hooray!  Great job, Madeleine!  You totally justified it!

4 comments:

  1. They both use the microphone really effectively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially Madeleine. It became more of a thing to keep time with than anything else. CAN I SEE IT?

      Delete
    2. What? Aren't microphones SUPPOSED to be spun around in circles while you sing or smacked upon the palm of your hand?

      Delete
    3. Whoo hoo Goldens!! They rock! I seem to remember some whisk microphones around this house as well. Love, Yiayia

      Delete