Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Creativity Abounds

Julia is no stranger to music composition, as evidenced by her many, many spontaneously made-up songs; however, in the past, her songs have all been transmitted orally.  Yesterday she decided to try her hand at musical notation, and she wrote out a brand new composition, dedicated to me.  Not only am I the lucky recipient of her new song, "Love," but she has decided she's going to teach me how to play it in a piano lesson role reversal, in which she is the teacher and I am the student.  I present to you Julia's latest musical work:


The manuscript comes complete with hearts, as well as the year of its composition.  Furthermore, this song has lyrics; while not notated in the score, Julia was sweet enough to sing them while she played her song for me.  I can't remember the exact wording, but it was something along the lines of: "Love, love, love.  I love YOUUUUU!"

She is gearing up for my first piano lesson today after school.  And I can already tell she's going to be a pretty strict teacher.  "Okay, so, Mama," she instructed me after giving me my music.  "Promise me that you're going to practice this song EVERY DAY while I'm at school."  My promise was obviously not good enough, because before she left for school this morning, she gave me a reminder: "And Mama, don't forget: you have to practice your piano lesson music while I'm at school today!"

Julia was kind enough to write the note names in for me, seeing as I wasn't able to differentiate between the various sets of eighth notes she wrote out.  It appears the song's notes go like this: C,C,C,D,D,D,C,C.  Wowzers.  That's a tough one.  I hope I can  handle it.

Madeleine has also been busy with markers and paper, drawing her latest masterpiece.  In case you can't tell what she made, I'll give you the artist's own description of her work: "It's COWIE!!":



Compared against the real Cowie, it's hard to tell which one is Cowie in the flesh (cloth?) and which one is the artistic representation:




I must admit: my kids are nothing if not creative!

2 comments:

  1. Hahah - that actually is pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! She's 2!?! She most definitely did not get my pitiful artistic genes.

      Delete