Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mothers Day

For the past week, Julia has been SO excited for Mothers Day.  She has been anxiously awaiting the chance to give me the artwork she made me at school, and has been busy stockpiling away more drawings in her closet all week long.  It all began on Tuesday, when I picked her up from school and she had a painting of flowers she had made in class.

JULIA: Mom, when is Mothers Day?
ME: On Sunday.
JULIA: So... it's on a weekend?
ME: Yup.
JULIA: On a church day?
ME: Yes, but I think we're going to stay home from church that day.  Daddy doesn't have to sing that morning, so we thought we'd have a nice family breakfast at home.
JULIA: Okay, well, Mama, I have a present for you, but DON'T LOOK!  Be careful when you're getting us into the car because I don't want you to see what I made you!

I got Julia and Madeleine into the car, eyes averted (even though I had already seen the painting when we were first walking out of school), and got into the driver's seat.  As we drove home, I could see the wheels turning in Julia's brain as she thought through every Mothers Day detail.

JULIA: So, Mama, on Mothers Day, I want to wear a dress... and... MAMA!  If we're not going to church, then that's PERFECT, because then you won't need to go in my closet to pick out a church dress, because I decided that's where I'm going to HIDE your PRESENT!

When we got home, Julia continually instructed me not to see the painting she was carrying, while simultaneously chattering on and on about it.

JULIA: Mom, it's something UNIQUE, it's something that you LOVE... Mama, I'm trying to sound like Raspberry on Strawberry Shortcake, because I'm talking about your flow- uh... uh-oh.
ME: It's okay, I didn't hear what you said.
JULIA: (chipper once again) Okay!  Because I'm talking about your SPECIAL PRESENT.

Throughout the week, Julia has been clandestinely sneaking more artwork up to her closet, commanding me not to look, sometimes giving me a little hint about what she was making.  One afternoon when I arrived home from work, Julia had just come downstairs from her room, after squirreling away yet another drawing.  "Mama!" she told me, delightedly.  "You can't look, because I was just putting a present from me and Madeleine in my closet.  So, Mama, I had to help her, so I drew some flowers and a rainbow, because, well, I wanted you to get a NICE drawing for Mothers Day, not, like..."  I filled in the blank: "Madeleine scribbles?"  Julia quickly affirmed.

Two days ago, the wait was starting to wear on Julia.  "Mom, I just CAN'T WAIT until it's Mothers Day!" she told me, sounding like a child awaiting Christmas morning.  "I really can't wait for you to see ALL THE PRESENTS I HAVE FOR YOU!"

At long last, the day has arrived.  Julia celebrated by coming into the bedroom at 6:30 this morning, chattering away non-stop to me, while Madeleine celebrated by yelling repeatedly from her crib: "MOM!  COME TO ME!"  Thankfully, my wonderful husband stepped in and got up with the girls so that I could get some more sleep.  When I finally came downstairs, I was treated to my expansive pile of pictures from Julia:


As well as a pancake breakfast and a heartfelt letter plus massage gift card from Ethan.  As if all that is not enough, I also received this sweetheart video message from the kids, which you should be able to view if you copy and paste the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3619082830161

I have no words to describe how blessed I am.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you truly are Blessed and so are they to have a wonderful mother like you. XOXO Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete