Tuesday, May 29, 2012

And Yet MORE Pretend Play

Julia filled me in on the good times she and Madeleine had with their baby-sitter today while I was at work:

"Mommy?  Guess what?  We acted out 'The Three Musketeers' AND 'Little Bunny Foo-foo.'  And I got to be the Good Fairy in 'Little Bunny Foo-foo,' and I thought that Madeleine is cute like a little bunny and has a cute little bunny face, so I let her be Little Bunny Foo-foo.  And Tamara was the field mice, and Madeleine and Tamara's part was kind of WEIRD, because Madeleine had to walk over to Tamara and they had to BONK into each other and then I was the Good Fairy and I would get my wings and just FLY down."

Wait a minute... Julia not only got to be a fairy, but she got to be the fairy who polices the whole bunny region and tells everyone how to behave, and ultimately renders justice on the mischievous Bunny Foo-foo?  Sounds like Julia heaven.

And wait just ANOTHER minute... Madeleine got to play a pretend game in which it was PART OF HER JOB to go over and bonk somebody over the head?!?  Sounds like SERIOUS Madeleine heaven.

Julia also went into extensive detail on the various girls from "Barbie: Three Musketeers," including who played which girl in their fantasy re-enactment.  Julia was the girl with the purple dress, who speaks French in the movie.  In her attempt to sound just like this girl, Julia has been storming around the living room saying something that sounds like a Frenchified "applesauce!"  I captured her faux French accent on video, along with Madeleine's copy-catting, although I will point out that I watched the actual Barbie video so I could help Julia figure out what the woman was saying, and it was actually "Enfant terrible!"  Nothing even remotely close to "applesauce," but I give Julia an A for effort!




The girls even played "Ramona and Beezus" after I got home from work, with Julia, of course, playing the role of big sister/boss Beezus, and getting the added bonus of not just telling her true little sister what to do in the game, but also getting to act the part of the teenager ordering her little sister around.  For example:

JULIA: (from the living room) Ramona!  Go to sleep!
MADELEINE: (from the dining room) Okay!
JULIA: Wait.  Hold on a minute.  Pause the game for a second.  Madeleine, come into my room!
MADELEINE: (walking obediently into the living room)
JULIA: Ramona!  There is nothing to be scared of!  There are no ghosts in your room!  Now go back to your own room and leave me alone!
MADELEINE: (walking obediently into the dining room.)
JULIA: (delightedly) Mama!  We're playing "Ramona and Beezus!"

Madeleine is so enamored with her big sister that she even involves Julia in her own play while Julia is at school.  As she lay on the dining room floor coloring this morning, Madeleine announced to me, "See, Mommy?  I drew MADELEINE!   Now I have to draw my sister Julia."

What better way to bring out your inner artist than by coloring while wearing a bonnet?:



1 comment: