Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Big sister helper

This evening, I was sitting on the couch while the girls played in the living room, when suddenly Madeleine came crawling towards me, wailing, with something reddish around her lips. I picked her up and realized that she was bleeding, and figuring she must have bitten into her top lip with her brand new bottom teeth, I took a look up top and sure enough, found the little wound. There was only a tiny little bit of bleeding, and it seemed that she was more interested in a comforting snuggle than anything else, so I cradled her in my arms. I told Julia I had a really important job for her, and asked her to run upstairs to Madeleine's room and get the pacifier from her crib (normally only offered to her at nap and bedtime.) Julia asked why Madeleine needed her pacifier when it wasn't time to go to sleep, so I told her that Madeleine's lip was bleeding and I thought she needed something to help calm her down. Julia ran upstairs, on a mission, and a few minutes later she came thumping down the stairs, pacifier in hand. When she got back into the living room, she handed me the pacifier, then triumphantly held out her other hand, exclaiming, "AND, Mama, I brought you THIS!" showing me a tube of triple antibiotic ointment that we've used to dress the bandages on Julia's various scrapes and scuffs. She then advised me, "Mama, if she's bleeding, then I think you might want to use that." I almost didn't have the heart to explain to her that I couldn't actually use it on Madeleine's mouth, but seeing as Julia likes to be a second mother to Madeleine and help out even when not asked, I didn't want to take the chance that Julia would take it into her own hands to administer the ointment somewhere down the line... at any rate, bleeding was soon over, pacifier was much appreciated, and Madeleine was over it as soon as she saw something on the floor that was more interesting than being cooped up in Mommy's arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment