Thursday, July 8, 2010

Diabetes

Julia has been talking about diabetes a lot lately, ever since my diagnosis as a pre-diabetic. I have tried to explain the basics to her; the idea that the sugar in my blood is high, so I need to eat low sugar foods to stay healthy. However, in typical Julia fashion, she has become obsessed with the topic of diabetes and has lots of different questions and comments about the subject. Here is an excerpt from last night's conversation:

JULIA: Mama? Kids don't get diabetes!
ME: Actually, kids can get diabetes. Mrs. Welsh's son has diabetes. You know her little boy, Tommy?
JULIA: Oh. But I didn't get diabetes. I'm perfectly fine!
ME: Yes, you are fine. You know who else has diabetes? Remember my friend Ginny?
JULIA: Uh-huh.
ME: Well, she has diabetes. She was born with it.
JULIA: Oh. And Mama? Were you her mommy?
ME: No. I've only ever been a mommy to Madeleine and you.
JULIA: Oh. Mama? Is Ginny a friend of yours?
ME: Yes, she is.
JULIA: Oh. And Mama? Well, who ELSE got diabetes?
ME: Well, my grandfather, Popu, had it.
JULIA: Oh. And who ELSE got diabetes?
ME: I don't know anyone else who has it.
JULIA: Oh. So nobody else has diabetes?
ME: Well, no, lots of people in the world have diabetes.
JULIA: Oh. And Mama? Do you know their names?

And so forth.

In Madeleine news, still no tooth:

No comments:

Post a Comment