Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Band Assignment

Julia was really excited by one of her recent Band Assignments.

JULIA: Mommy, for Band, we have to play our instrument and record it for two minutes in the weirdest place we can think of.  I was thinking of either the trunk of the car, or the shower.

Julia settled on the trunk of the car, but then seemed to have reservations after coming to her decision.

JULIA: Mommy?  Will I *suffocate* if I try to play my flute in the trunk of the car?
ME: I doubt it.
JULIA: But what if I do?
ME: Why don't you ask Daddy if the thinks it's a safe idea?

After discussion with Ethan, Julia had switched locations and instead determined she would play her flute in the wheelbarrow.

This proved challenging upon second thought, as well.  Yesterday, in a panic about the amount of work she still had to do by late afternoon, Julia was hemming and hawing about her band assignment.

JULIA: I'm thinking of waiting to do my band recording tomorrow, but then what if I don't have TIME tomorrow-
ME: Do you want me to just record you quickly right now?
JULIA: No, because there are kids playing outside next door, and what are they gonna think when they see me playing my flute in a WHEELBARROW?
ME: Isn't that the point of the assignment?  Just tell them you're supposed to play your instrument in the weirdest place possible for school.
JULIA: No, but the wheelbarrow is all DIRTY, and it needs to be cleaned out.
ME: I can just put a towel inside it and then wash it if you want.
JULIA: No, that's still GROSS.
ME: Why don't you just play your flute in the shower instead?  Wasn't that one of your ideas?
JULIA: No, I don't feel like it.
ME: Do you want to just go in the backseat of the car instead of the trunk?
JULIA: I just don't FEEL like doing it today.
ME: Then do it tomorrow.
JULIA: Ohhhhhkay.

So, come today, Julia was getting ready to do her recording.

JULIA: I have to do my band recording.
ME: Okay.
JULIA: But Mommy?  I'm scared that if I play my flute outside, it will MELT.*
ME: It won't melt. 
JULIA: But what if it DOES?
ME: Honey.  It won't. I used to march in parades and field shows for hours outside and my flute did not melt.  It's fine.
JULIA: (grumpily and slightly accusingly) But I don't FEEL like going in the wheelbarrow.

She said this as if someone was forcing her to go in the wheelbarrow.

ME: Then don't.  Do it in the shower.
JULIA: But...but...FINE. (picking up the music stand and tromping off to the bathroom)

I guess even the projects that are supposed to be fun require WAYYYY too much over-thinking and needless fretting.  Nonetheless, Julia pulled off a successful performance in our ugly, not recently cleaned, '50's stile pink tiled shower, so that should be a hit!

*It was 48 degrees out, BTW.

No comments:

Post a Comment