Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Poetry Party

Today at "school," Julia's ELA class had its Poetry Day Celebration.  This was supposed to be an actual in person party which parents were to be invited to, but instead it took place on Zoom.  Julia asked me to straighten her hair because they were supposed to dress up for the event.  She wore a solid black tee-shirt and jean shorts.  Guys.  That's how far down things have sunk in society right now.  Jeans are a dress-up item.  Otherwise it's all sweatpants, leggings and pajama pants, pretty much universally, am I right?

I logged into the Zoom meeting to hear all the poetry, and guess what?  I was the ONLY parent there!  I'm sure Julia loved that.  Luckily, I saw the head of a mom friend of mine bobbing around occasionally in the background of her son's screen, and I was all, "OMG A REAL HUMAN ADULT MOM FRIEND!!!" and started messaging her throughout the poetry reading.  Again, that's how far things have sunk.  A mere glimpse of the side of a head of someone I know and I'm all off my rocker with excitement.

Anyway, Julia's poem was beautiful, and one of my favorites that she's ever written.  I wasn't able to record the Zoom session but I can post her poem here:

Things I Hope to Always Remember
by Julia Rowe

I remember sticking a suction cup
On my forehead.
Boy, was that a dumb decision.
At least I invented
Grapehead.
I remember sunny summer days in France.
Swimming in the salty Mediterranean Sea,
Its teal colored waves crashing against the rocky beach,
Walking along the promenade,
The mountains looming in the distance
Like city buildings surrounding a highway,
Eating gelato under the stars.
I remember swimming at the best meet
Of my life.
The amount of time I dropped was incredible.
I remember Salem
And the horrifying haunted house
Taunting us and daring us to keep walking
And getting chased by that clown.

I remember games at recess.
My friends and I were the weirdest
First graders on earth.
(And probably are the weirdest seventh graders
on earth.)
I remember the Little Red Schoolhouse
And Ring Around the Rosie.
Even though we might've
All fallen down
A little too soon.*
I remember winning a gold medal at MICCA
And singing at Symphony Hall.
I remember the pride and happiness I'd felt
When they announced that Needham Middle School Select Choir
Had won gold.

I remember summers at Lake Champlain
And being too chicken
To tube in the lake...
But being brave enough to tube down a mountain
And have the time of my life.
I remember that day at Fairfield Beach
And conquering my fear of the ocean.
I remember my eyes raking the list of who had gotten into Wind Ensemble
And seeing my name** printed right there ont he paper the color
Of a lamb's fur.
All my hard work and effort had paid off.

I remember cracking up
As Madeleine
Spread peanut butter across her feet
Just so that Clara would lick her.
I remember telling everyone
That I was a big sister.


*This is really true.  I was chaperoning that field trip, and they were definitely playing Ring Around the Rosie: Savages Edition.  The goal was apparently to yank everyone down to the ground way before the lyrics "All Fall Down" were reached, and they were like a group of feral, crazed animals dressed primly in little prairie outfits.

**Ironically, her name was posted as "Julia Rower."  Julia was too scared to ever address the Wind Ensemble director about this typo, so that's how her name appears in every concert program we receive.




I have to say in all honesty, I hope to always remember this poem because I love the beautiful memories Julia has of growing up, and especially the fact that these memories evoke a life before quarantine!

No comments:

Post a Comment