Monday, April 8, 2019

Singing

I was sitting and reading on the couch when I heard this going on from the dining room:


MADELEINE: Okay.  Repeat after me.  (singing) Deck the halls with bows of holly...
ALSO MADELEINE: Deck the halls with bows of holly...
MADELEINE: Good!  (singing) 'Tis the season to be jolly...
ALSO MADELEINE: 'Tis the season to be jolly...
MADELEINE: Don be now our gay of carol...
ALSO MADELEINE: Don be now our gay of carol...
MADELEINE: No.  Don-
ALSO MADELEINE: Don-
MADELEINE: No.  Try again.  Don.
JULIA: Why are you saying "John?"
MADELEINE: I'm not!  I'm saying "DON!"
ME: Who is singing?!?
JULIA: Madeleine!
ME: No, I mean, who is she talking to and teaching "Deck the Halls" to?
JULIA: Madeleine, who are you talking to?
MADELEINE: My imaginary student! (returning to her voice lesson.)  So, that's too high.  You might be an alto.  An alto is lower than a soprano.  And a tenor is even lower.  The lowest is the bass.  Now, it's okay to have an alto voice.  Let's see if you can get back to soprano.  Or mezzo-soprano.


I don't know if I'd trust my voice teacher if she was teaching me to sing "Don be now our gay of carol" instead of "Don we now our gay apparel," but otherwise Madeleine's voice teacher info was pretty solid.


Speaking of singing, the girls both offered up some interesting interpretations of lyrics to Beatles songs over the weekend.  We were listening to a CD mix of Beatles music in the car, and here's what they had to say:

About "Bungalow Bill"
JULIA: Mommy?  I used to think this song was about Gramps, because his name is Bill.


About "I'm Down"
MADELEINE: Mommy, the Beatles always sing about really RANDOM things.  Like, what is this song about, like, somebody who falls DOWN on the GROUND?

I mean, she's right about the lyrics being crazy-random in the Beatles' later years, but "I'm Down" is definitely not in that category; it is neither a late song, nor does it have confusing lyrics.  I guess Madeleine is just taking the lyrics super literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment