Saturday, April 13, 2019

Girls Names

Julia announced this evening that she has memorized the top 10 girls' names from 2017.  After reciting them all for us, we weighed in on them.

ETHAN: That's a pretty terrible list of names.
ME: I like some of them.  I love Emily, and I like Sophia.
JULIA: I like Ava.
ME: I like Ava too.
ETHAN: Yeah, but HARPER?
ME: Yeah.  I know.  I feel guilty for not liking the name Harper, because I really *should* like it.  A harper is a person who plays a harp, and I love the sound of the harp.
MADELEINE: I feel like Harper is the name of a man with a bow and arrow who's shooting at a robin.  (Thoughtful silence) But the robin looks like a CARDINAL, for some reason.

Before long the kids were discussing their future children.

MADELEINE: So here are my DREAM kid names, but I feel like I can't have one of them because of Clara: I want to have May, then Lilac, then Clarabell.
ME: You're only having girls?
MADELEINE: Well, no...
JULIA: What's your boys' name?
MADELEINE: Chris.
ME: What are your favorite names, Julia?
JULIA: I don't know. I like a lot of names. I like: Emeryn, Lucy, Adara, Hialeah, Felicity, Grace.
ME: So you're both basically having all daughters?
JULIA: Well, my favorite boys' names are probably Luke...well, also Owen and Ollie, but there's already those in our family.  I used to really like the name Keith for some reason, but now I don't.


So, basically, my future grandchildren will either be named after family dogs, or I'll be introducing the world to my granddaughters, Hialeah and Lilac. 

However, given that I was convinced at various points of my childhood-through-adolescence that I would someday have daughters named any of the following: Elizabeth, Pamela, Julie, Cybil, Allison, Calandra, Faustine, Ellen, Harmony, October, Aubrey or Adara, I think it's safe to say that there's a lot of room for the girls to have a change of taste.  (Seriously.  Neither Julia nor Madeleine even made the short list back in my youth.  What was young Courtney's problem?!?)

No comments:

Post a Comment