Friday, April 19, 2019

Monopoly

Yesterday, Julia wanted to play Monopoly with Madeleine.  Madeleine decided to be only mildly compliant.

JULIA: Madeleine, wanna play Monopoly with me?
MADELEINE: Well...I was thinking of ANOTHER game we can play...
JULIA: What?
MADELEINE: I haven't thought of it yet.
JULIA: So can you just play Monopoly with me?
MADELEINE: Well, I think I wanna play my own game...
JULIA: Your own game of what?
MADELEINE: I'm thinking of it.  I'm making it up!
JULIA: Madeleine.  Can we just play Monopoly?
MADELEINE: (silent)
JULIA: I'm gonna go set it up!  You can pick what token you wanna be!  (running downstairs to set up the game)
ME: Madeleine, can you please just play Monopoly with your sister? She's asking you nicely.
MADELEINE: I wanna play ANOTHER game.
ME: Well, what game?
MADELEINE: I haven't figured it OUT yet.  I'm making it UP.
ME: In the meantime, can you just play Monopoly for a little while with your sister?
MADELEINE: I wanna play my OWN game that I'm making up.
ME: Okay, well how do you play?
MADELEINE: I haven't figured it out yet.  But it's gonna be LIKE Monopoly.
ME: So just go play Monopoly for a bit and then maybe you can make up your own version of it.
JULIA: (calling from downstairs) Madeleine!  It's all set up!
MADELEINE: (ignoring her)

Several minutes later, Madeleine had still not joined the Monopoly game, but she had finally come up with her OWN game idea.

MADELEINE: So Mommy.  Here's the game.  It's called "Money Toes." Okay.  So, you SPIN AROUND, then you sit down and look at each other's toes.  Oh!  And everyone starts off with one thousand dollars.  Then you pick a toe, and you say, "I would like THIS toe!"  But then they'll say "Sorry, this toe is seven thousand dollars.  You must stand up and spin around SIX TIMES in the opposite direction to get the money."  So you stand up and spin around six times, and then you sit back down and say, "Can I have it now?" and they're like, "Congratulations!  You have earned enough to buy this toe!"  So Mommy.  Do you think Julia will like my idea?
ME: No.
MADELEINE: But Mommy-
ME: You can go and explain it to her, but if she doesn't want to play, can you please do Monopoly with her?

So Madeleine went downstairs, and - SURPRISE SURPRISE - Julia was not keen on Money Toes.  Instead, she and Madeleine played Monopoly, which culminated in a screaming fight about something I still don't quite understand and ended with both kids stomping off from each other, Madeleine in tears and Julia in a rage.  I sure am glad I pushed so hard for them to play it together, since it went so well.  Maybe if they'd played Money Toes things would have gone more smoothly.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know, buying each other's toes? I think that might have ended the same way!

    ReplyDelete