Monday, January 25, 2016

Readings

MADELEINE: Mama?  Are you writing on your blog?
ME: No, I'm writing an email.
MADELEINE: Oh.  Well, when you're done, if you write on your blog, can you write something about me and Julia?
ME: That's usually the subject that I write about.
MADELEINE: Oh, good.
ME: Why?  What did you want me to write?
MADELEINE: Uh...well...maybe you could say, "Madeleine was talking to me, and she was looking at my Coffee-mate, and she read the word 'Neestull."
ME: Honey, that says "Nestle."
MADELEINE: Oh.  Well...could you just write "Neestull," because that's what I first said?


Neestull.



Speaking of reading, as I attempted to read a chapter of "Emily of New Moon" to Julia this evening, I found it nearly impossible to get through even the first page due to her constant interruptions.


ME: (reading) She was not frightened of twilight out-of-doors, but this shadowy, walled gloom made of the spare-room a place of dread.  The-
JULIA: I wouldn't be scared of just a ROOM.
ME: Well, she is.  (reading) The window was hung with heavy, dark-green material, reinforced by drawn slat-blinds.  The big canopied bed, jutting out from the wall into the middle of the floor, was high and rigid and curtained with dark draperies.  Anything might jump at her out of such a bed.  What if some great big black hand should suddenly reach out of it-
JULIA: Well, that DOES sound pretty scary.
ME: Mmm-hmm.  (reading) Emily dared not look at it for fear that was just what happened.  Didn't-
JULIA: Mommy?  Emily and I are a LOT alike.
ME: Mmm-hmm.  (reading) Then something did happen.  A beam-
JULIA: There are two moths on my wall.
ME: Honey, I'm trying to read this chapter to you, and you keep saying things and interrupting me. 
JULIA: Sorry.
ME: (reading) A beam of sunli-
JULIA: But I *always* say things!
ME: I know.  But I'm asking you to try not to.  (reading) A beam of-
JULIA: But I was just telling you that there are two moths on my wall!
ME: Okay.  But how about no more talking unless it's an emergency.  (reading) A beam-
JULIA: But I was just showing you the moths.
ME: Yes, but it makes it really hard to read when you keep interrupting.  (reading) A be-
JULIA: Yeah, it's hard for Daddy too.
ME: (putting the book down and waiting in silence)
JULIA: (chagrined) Okay, I'll just put my head under my blanket and not talk anymore.
ME: You don't have to put your head under your blanket.  Just the not talking part is all I need.

She managed to stay mum for at least two or three pages, so that the story could progress a bit before the questions and comments began anew.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment