Thursday, January 7, 2016

Arkansas, Cont.

As Julia works on her Arkansas state project, both girls offer profound thoughts on the state.

MADELEINE: Mama.  What did the people of Arkansas say to each other?
ME: What?
MADELEINE: Let's get some ArkanSAUCE!


JULIA: I thought of another nickname for Arkansas!  I'm gonna call Arkansas the "Twosie State!"  Because there are TWO words in the capital, two state songs, and two nicknames!

Except...by naming it the "Twosie" state, Julia has ironically given it THREE nicknames.

Also, I'm surprised she didn't try and name it the "Frenchy" state.


Today I helped Julia with some of her research on the subject of her diorama, Blanchard Springs Caverns.  I had her take notes while I read to her from some online sources, and when I happened to glimpse her notes this evening, I realized it might have been better for her to read herself rather than listen to me read aloud.

ME: The cave remains a steady 58 degrees year-round.
JULIA'S NOTES: "The cave stays 58% year long."

ME: It is referred to as a "living cave," because the rock formations are always changing and growing.  The rock formations are made by dripping water that deposits minerals.  The kinds of formations that are found there are stalactites, stalagmites, and...hmm.  Something called flowstones.  Okay.  So write that down, but circle flowstones so you remember that you have to research what that means.  I don't know what flowstones are.  So, just circle flowstones for now.
JULIA'S NOTES: "The formations were made by dripping water that deposits minerals to make formations like stallactites & stallagmites.  Circle flow stones.  3 levels of caves, and there are trails in the daves tourists can take by a trail guide."


So, I think Julia has a little ways to go before she's ready for note-taking during an academic lecture.  But at least she got MOST of the important information down from what I read to her!

No comments:

Post a Comment