Monday, January 11, 2016

Madeleine's Unique Pronunciations

Madeleine is suddenly learning that some of her word pronunciations aren't quite correct.

MADELEINE: Mama?  Why do street signs say "A-V-E" for abenue, when there's not even any "V" in abenue?
ME: There is a "v" in "avenue," honey.  It's pronounced "AVENUE," not "ABENUE."
MADELEINE: Oh!  I always thought people were saying "abenue."  And, like, I was so confused why the signs say "a-v-e!"


MADELEINE: Mama?  Does cheese have protein?
ME: Yes.
MADELEINE: And cheese has dairy.  I had protein and dairy today, because you packed me pizza for lunch!
ME: Were you so excited when you saw I packed you pizza?
MADELEINE: Well, Mama?  When I first saw the tin-thoil, I was like, "Huh?  Is this someone ELSE'S tin-thoil?"  But then I opened it up and I was like, "Oh, yay!  The PIZZA!"
ME: What did you just call it?  Tin what?
MADELEINE: (with utter confidence) Tin-thoil.
ME: Tinf-f-foil.  Not tin-thoil.
MADELEINE: Oh!  I always thought it was tin-thoil!



MADELEINE: (singing "The Twelve Days of Christmas") And a partridge jingle pear tree...
ME: What is it?  A partridge what?
MADELEINE: "Jingle pear tree."
ME: Do you know it's not really "jingle pear tree?"
MADELEINE: Uh, I can't remember what it really is.
ME: It's "in a pear tree."
MADELEINE: "Gin a pear tree?"
ME: No "gin."  "IN a pear tree." 
MADELEINE: What??
ETHAN: (showing her the sentence "a partidge in a pear tree")
MADELEINE: (reading aloud) "A partridge...in a pear tree.  What???"

I know, I know.  It makes so much less sense than "jingle pear tree."  No wonder the real words are so confusing to her.

1 comment:

  1. Alright honey!! I'm so proud of you knowing you had protein and dairy!!!

    ReplyDelete