Sunday, January 17, 2016

Dioramas Galore

Well, after working hard for the past few weeks, Julia has nearly finished her State Fair diorama.

Behold, Blanchard Springs Caverns in Arkansas:






The diorama boasts stalactites, stalagmites, a pool of mineral water, and a glittering boulder.  Drawn in on the back wall, resembling a bunch of poop nuggets, are flowstones; Julia eventually did research and read about flowstones and was able to incorporate them into her project.

Julia is extremely proud of her self-made state label.  "Mommy?  I'm gonna draw a honeybee, because that's the state INSECT."  This is a kid who knows what matters.


It wouldn't be the Rowe household without a little sister emulation.  Madeleine is now working on her very own diorama.  Of all the possible places in the world to reconstruct, Madeleine has chosen:


Blanchard Springs Caverns.  Complete with the hanging nuggets of poop.


You can probably guess how Julia feels about this.  I'll give you a hint: Julia clearly does not feel that imitation is the highest form of flattery.

JULIA: But Maaaadeleine! I don't WANT you making the same thing as me!  I want mine to be UNIQUE!

I asked Madeleine about her intentions.

ME: Madeleine, why did you want to make the same thing as Julia?
MADELEINE: Because I *like* Julia's a LOT!  (thoughtful) And...I also always wanted to learn to SEW.

The queen of two completely unrelated thoughts strikes again.

So, now that I have aided one child in completing a diorama, I find myself stuck recreating the entire experience.

MADELEINE: (knocking on the shower door) Uh, Mama?  Can you take a really QUICK shower, because...I need help opening the krazy glue!

Blanchard Springs Caverns 2.0, here we come!




No comments:

Post a Comment