Wednesday, March 4, 2015

More Drawings, More Poop

So, for once Madeleine drew a picture that doesn't look super creepy.  But in contrast to her pictures with total creep-factor and totally innocent explanations, this picture's description is actually pretty macabre.


ME: Madeleine, tell me about this picture.
MADELEINE: (brightly) Oh.  It's the green dinosaur getting EATEN!
ME: And what are the stripey things?
MADELEINE: Those are the orange and white striped dinosaurs EATING it.  Eating the GREEN dinosaur.


On the back of the doomed dinosaur picture, we have a friendly lion roaring "NO."

ME: And what's happening in this picture?
MADELEINE: The lion is roaring really loud across the savannah.
ME: But why is he roaring "NO"?
MADELEINE: Oh.  Because his pride is doing something that they're NOT SUPPOSED to do.
ME: What is his pride doing?
MADELEINE: Umm...growling at each other and...and...and KICKING each other.


Okay.  Nice violent plots to both pictures.  That's really great.


While Madeleine may be progressing in her artistic skills, she is apparently regressing in her toilet-training skills.  Ethan and I got home from chorus rehearsal last night to hear that Madeleine had YET AGAIN pooped in her underwear while we were gone.

This morning, I broached the topic with her.

ME: Madeleine, is there anything in particular you want to tell me about last night when Auntie Shannon was baby-sitting?  (turning to Julia) Don't you say anything. I want Madeleine to tell me.
MADELEINE: (silence)
ME: Is there anything you want to tell me about?
MADELEINE: Um, no thanks.
ME: Did anything in particular happen when I was at chorus that you need to tell me about?
MADELEINE: (staring at me blankly)
ME: Do I need to wash any clothing of yours?
MADELEINE: Um, no.
JULIA: (unable to control her urge to tattle) Oh!  I know!  She POOPED IN HER-
ME: Julia.  Remember, I said I want Madeleine to tell me.
MADELEINE: (silence)
ME: What happened, Madeleine?
MADELEINE: I don't know.
ME: Do I need to wash anything?
MADELEINE: No.
ME: So you can put your underwear from last night on to wear to school today?
MADELEINE: (silence)
JULIA: Mommy!  She POOPED IN HER-
ME: Julia.  I said not to say anything.
JULIA: (completely unable to resist any longer) But MADELEINE POOPED IN HER UNDERWEAR AND SHE'S NOT TELLING THE TRUTH ABOUT IT!!!

Ahh.  Such cooperation from both parties.  The one who (literally) doesn't give a shit about pooping in the toilet, and the other one who can't stand to let a sin go unmentioned.  I should have known that the whole interrogation was going to be an epic fail from the get-go.

At least I got this reassuring promise from Madeleine.

MADELEINE: (brightly) I don't think I'm gonna poop in my underwear ever again!

I really believe her.  Don't you??

Maybe if I could just roar "NO" across the savannah at her next time she starts to poop her pants, she would be able to get back on track.

2 comments:

  1. Boy, Madeleine, that's taking the Hakunah Matata philosophy to a whole new level! Hope you do start to care where you put your body wastes! XOXO, Yiayia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she pooped in her pants again today, so no such luck.

      Delete