Friday, March 6, 2015

Basketball Game

This evening, the Rowe family went to watch the annual basketball game between Julia's elementary school and one of the other town elementary schools.  The teams consisted of faculty and parents from both school communities, and the bleachers were PACKED with families cheering for their school's team. 

For Julia, the highlight of the night was watching her principal and many of her teachers battle it out on the court.  For Madeleine, the highlight of the game was making pretend conversations between the two mascots in the program booklet.  The Eagle and Hornet were simply fascinating for Madeleine.  In fact, she was eager to understand what animal SHE will get to have as mascot when she's in kindergarten.

MADELEINE: So Mama?  At Julia's school, what animal are the KINDERGARTEN kids?
ME: Everyone at Julia's school is an eagle.  The Eagles are for the whole school.

When we got home, quite late, I was anxious to get Madeleine to bed as quickly as possible.  Unfortunately, she had lots on her mind and couldn't stop herself from chattering away at me as I tried to get her settled.

MADELEINE: Mama?  Are you still in college?
ME: No, I'm not.
MADELEINE: Are you all DONE with college?
ME: Yes, I'm done.
MADELEINE: So...what's the name of what your work is?
ME: I'm a piano teacher.
MADELEINE: No.  Mama.  I mean...what's your work ANIMAL?

She was dismayed to learn that I do not have a mascot.  The fun ends after college, honey, sorry.  Unless you get drafted for a professional sports team, I guess, or join an adult softball league or something.  She better milk that experience of being an Eagle because you don't get to be an animal forever!

1 comment:

  1. Well, technically, you are still a Bates Bobcat, aren't you? I bet Madeleine would enjoy that!

    ReplyDelete