Sunday, September 14, 2014

What Happens When Tree's Have Feelings.

On our drive home from church today, Julia raised a poignant question.

JULIA: Mommy?  You know what I sometimes WONDER?  Do you think that TREES have FEELINGS?
ME: Hmmm.  Well, trees are living things, and I know that there are things that can HURT trees, but I don't think they have feelings that are actual emotions. 
JULIA: You know what I think about though?  Like, if the tree branches are blowing in the wind and the leaves are rustling, maybe that's how trees TALK to other trees.

I can suddenly see Julia's future calling: Julia Rowe, Tree Whisperer.

Until she is able to decipher the language of trees, however, Julia satisfied herself by writing a book about the topic of trees and feelings:

What Happens When Tree's Have Feelings.

Julia Rowe


"What happens when trees have feelings?  I've always wondered this as I dance upon the Lilly pads day after day.  The tree would let me pick it's apples and be there with me."

Wait.  Now I have a new question to ask: What happens when little girls dance on Lilly Pads?  Don't they just immediately fall into the pond?  Or are we assuming that in a world in which trees have feelings, humans are able to stand on lily pads without sinking?


"He'de let me dress him up as a prince, with short green bushy hair.  He'de clap for me when I cartweels.  I'de be carefull not to kick him."

Oh, boy, now this is turning into a fairy tale love story between a princess and her noble prince, Tree.  Things have taken an unexpected romantic turn!


"We'de give each other Valentines that say I love you to peices with red sparkaly hearts.  We'de tell each other secrets of what we'de said and heard."

OMG.  Tree and the girl are totes in love.  They're even sharing secrets!  Awww!


"I'de show him when I lot a tooth because I swalloed it.  I know it's fun to imagine.  But for now, I'll play in my tree house."

WAIT A SECOND.  What??  It's all in her imagination??  This has thrown me for a MAJOR loop here, folks.  Just when I was feeling all warm and fuzzy about the bright future that lies ahead for the lovebirds, I find out the tree DOESN'T REALLY HAVE FEELINGS?!?  I think I'm as sad at the end of this book as I am at the end of "The Giving Tree."  Just goes to show you.  Julia is a majorly PROFOUND writer.


At least we get a little inspiring message on the back cover:

"Sometimes you have to have a little imaginacion!"

That's RIGHT, Julia!  And let me say, she surely does have imaginacion aplenty.  Thank goodness for that, because it allows all of us the chance to read the fruits of her very creative mind!


No comments:

Post a Comment