Sunday, September 21, 2014

Autumn Treats

The aunties and I tried to treat the girls to some special autumn goodies this weekend. 

Here's how it went over.

FRENCH TOAST, made by Auntie Shannon:

JULIA: (gobbling up her entire plateful, plus ate Madeleine's)  That was YUMMY!

MADELEINE: (eating one piece of French toast) Uh, actually, can I have a bagel?
AUNTIE SHANNON: What about your French toast?
MADELEINE: Well, I don't really LIKE it.
AUNTIE SHANNON: Why not??
MADELEINE: Well, I don't really like it because...I don't like SPICY things.  (thoughtful) And...I don't really like FRENCH things.


WHOLE WHEAT BREAD BAKED WITH APPLES AND CINNAMON, made by me:

JULIA: (eating her whole entire piece) This bread is yummy! I like it, because I like apples, and I like bread!

MADELEINE: (picking out every chunk of apple she could find) Uh, Mama?  I'm just leaving these PIECES, because...I don't like the WHITE things.
ME: Honey, those are just apples.  You love apples.
MADELEINE: (gravely) Well Mama.  I don't like THESE apples.


APPLE CIDER, poured by Auntie Caitlyn.

JULIA: (gulping down her entire glass) Can I have ANOTHER glass of apple cider? 
ME: Honey, you don't need more.
JULIA:  But Mommy.  Don't you know I *love* apple cider??  It's just really YUMMY.


AUNTIE CAITLYN: Madeleine, would you like a cup of apple cider as a special treat?
MADELEINE: Um, sure!
AUNTIE CAITLYN: Okay, I'll go get you some.
MADELEINE: Okay.  Uh...but...could you make it be LEMONADE, because...I don't really LIKE apple cider.


APPLE CIDER DONUTS, made by Auntie Shannon

JULIA: These are ALSO really yummy!

MADELEINE: (after eating a donut and a donut hole) Um...can I just have ONE MORE big one and ONE MORE little one?

DING DING DING DING!  We have a winner!  Thankfully, Madeleine decided to like and appreciate at least ONE of the weekend's special autumn treats.  Julia, on the other hand, was easy as pie, because in her book, EVERYTHING'S yummy!

2 comments:

  1. Ironically enough, the french toast had the EXACT SAME spices as the apple cider doughtnuts. So I guess it's not REALLY that she doesn't like spicy things....she just doesn't like French things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahah - this was the perfect recap.

    ReplyDelete