Monday, September 8, 2014

Fall Fever

They may have been sad to see the summer vacation come to a close, but the girls are now full-steam ahead counting down the days until fall begins. 

Julia went to school in an outfit that she described as: "totally Halloweeny!  I even have orange and black, because my SHOES are black, and I dunno why, but I feel like even my SKIRT looks kinda Halloweeny."

Julia in her totally Halloweeny outfit

As we walked to school this morning, both girls marvelled over the cool morning air and remarked upon the autumn-like feel of the temperature.  On our walk home after dropping Julia off, Madeleine pontificated even more on the impending change of season.

MADELEINE: Mama!  I can't even believe that it's almost fall AND it's almost HALLOWEEN!
ME: I know, they're just around the corner.
MADELEINE: Yeah.  So Mama.  Fall is like...ONE FEET away, and Halloween is like...THREE feet away.
ME: They're getting close, all right!
MADELEINE: Yeah.  And Mama.  What's even the MOST EXCITING is: my BIRTHDAY!

That's right.  Her birthday is right smack in between the Autumnal Equinox and Halloween.  Her birthday is like TWO FEET away.

It may be fall in the girls' spirits, but it's spring-time in Julia's newest historical fiction book:

Lydia's Wish Come's True!
1781
by Julia Rowe

I don't even know what is going on in this cover picture.  Is Lydia being yanked offstage by a cane because her comedic act was so bad??

This new book is only in its early stages, but I will give you all a taste of the next installment in the Lydia Jolliman series, as the author has finished one full chapter and embarked upon the second:

Chapter One: "OH.  MY.  GOSH!"

"Come on Mother!  Please let me ware only two layers of petticoats, 'tis spring!"  Lydia Jolliman was standing in the parlor with her hands on her hips.
"Maybe I geuss so, now take of the other three layers and run along," said Mother, perplexed. 
"How can you stand haveing to persuade your partents let you ware to layers of petticoats?"
Lydia smiled.  "I can't."

*

"Help!  Oh help!  I'm stuck in river with no way out!" Betsy, Eliza and Lydia were playing a game they made up called "Help!" 
"I'm sorry girls, but I have to go to Father's store," said Lydia. 
As she walked along the busy roads, Lydia saw her two friends, Harriot and Emily, and ran over too them. 
"Would you two like to come to my birthday party?" she asked. 
"Why would we miss your birthday party?" Emily said with a lagh. 
"We've never missed a singgle one of them!" said Harriot, grinning. 
Lydia thought it was good to invite Harriot and Emily, because Harriot loved birthdays and Emily loved partys.
I don't mean to gloat, Lydia thought.  But maybe I'm perfect!

*

"Lydia, come see!"  It was Father shouting.
"Okay, I'm coming!" Lydia yelled.  She was carrying a bucket of water for her horse. 
"Oh.  My.  Gosh!"

End Chapter.

Sheesh.  Well THAT was a cliff-hanger of an ending!  Luckily, Julia has provided us with the first two pages of Chapter Two, so we can find out what all the ruckus was about.


Chapter Two: "Can You Here Me?"

"Mother!  Mother!  My horse is pregnat!"
"That's great huney, now finish your chores."  Mother was holding Briget, Lydia's baby sister.
"Are you okay?"
But just then, Caroline walked in and her water bucket spilled on Lydia. 
"Oh why do the towles have to be made out of silk?" Lydia complained.  Her bucket of water was right near her feet.  She was drying off, at least trying to get dried off.


And this is where the story ends, for now.  What do you say, readers?  Are you hooked??  Personally, I can't wait for Julia to add to this story so we can get answers to some really important questions.  What will become of the pregnat horse?  Will Lydia's family ever buy some non-silk towles??  And will both Harriot and Emily affirm that Lydia is perfect??  And finally, can anybody here Lydia?  I look very forward to finding out!


No comments:

Post a Comment