Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Girls' Creations

Even when you think you know exactly what Madeleine's artwork is, you find that she herself has a *completely* different interpretation:






It's a flower and a butterfly, right?

NOPE.


ME: Madeleine, I love your painting.  What a beautiful flower and butterfly.
MADELEINE: Uh, Mama, those are COOKIES.
ME: Oh.  They are?  So what's happening in this painting?
MADELEINE: It's a picture of GIANT cookies that fell into the ocean.
ME: Oh.  How did they fall into the ocean?
MADELEINE: The little girl DROPPED them.

Oh.  Well, giant cookies that fell into the ocean was my SECOND guess after a flower and butterfly.  


At least with Julia, there's no ambiguity, because she makes sure to verbally explain every project she creates. 

JULIA: Mommy!  I made a TON of ACROSTIC POEMS in my notepad today!

I honestly hadn't even been aware that Julia knows what acrostic poems are.  But she certainly does, as evidenced below:

BEATLES

Beat
Electric Guitar
Awsome
Terribly Awsome
Lennon
Elitrick everything
Super duper awsome

Wait.  Do you think Julia thinks the Beatles are awsome??



OCTOBER

October 31st
Clara
The Witch
Ooooooohh!
BOO!
Eek!
Raven

Julia certainly made use of a lot of awe-filled sound effects in this acrostic.  I guess the Beatles aren't the only thing that's AWSOME.



POTTER

Penolipie
Owl's
Transfigoraicon
Trawlony
Emma Watson
Ron

I'm not sure I would have thought of Penolipie for P.  In fact, I'm not even sure how important a character Penolipie is in the Harry Potter books.  Personally, I might have gone with "Potions" for the letter P.  But that's the magic of Julia the poet: nothing is predictable.  For instance, she sure threw me for a loop by having E be "Emma Watson" but then NOT following suit with R as "Rupert Grint."  Instead, she went with the character name instead of the actor's name, which completely defied my expectations.  Definitely the sign of a great writer! 

In fact, I think I might venture so far as to say that Julia's poetry is terribly, super-duper awsome!!


1 comment:

  1. I don't know about you, but when I think "October", I think "Clara"!

    ReplyDelete