Wednesday, July 9, 2014

New Wall Color!

After 2+ weeks of renovations, Ethan and I finally got a first layer of paint on our kitchen walls last night.  The girls were both very enthusiastic about our new color:




JULIA: Mom?  When I go into the kitchen, I feel like I'm in a different place.  Like, I feel like I'm at an open house or something because the walls look so, like, nice and different, and they look like the walls of someone who's going to move.

(It is entirely true that the standard we have set in this house is for things to look not particularly nice - or clean.  Julia picked right up on that.)

Julia also remarked, in the middle of eating lunch, "Mommy, I just can't seem to stop STARING at the kitchen walls!" 

I wonder if it's like staring at the Christmas tree.  Which is an ACTUAL ACTIVITY for Julia during the Yuletide.

Madeleine started the day with a thoughtful and relevant observation:

MADELEINE: It looks so WARM in here!  It looks like FALL!

And things quickly descended into nonsense from there on.

MADELEINE: Daddy!  When the light shines on the paint, it looks like a big EGG!  And...when the light doesn't shine on it, it looks like a POLAR BEAR.  I mean...it looks like...a big warm BEAR!

Hmm.  I'm not sure I see much that's egg-like or polar bear-ish in our "toasted sunset" color walls, but to each her own, right?

Meanwhile, when they weren't busy commenting on the walls, the girls were making some brilliantly astute remarks throughout the day. 

Some of the highlights:

MADELEINE: Mommy?  I have a CRUSH on Ginny Weasley!
ME: Do you know what a crush means, Madeleine?
MADELEINE: Yeah.  It means you're in LOVE with someone.  So Mama.  Who do you have a crush on?
ME: Uh...Daddy.
MADELEINE: But do you mean you have a crush on Daddy AND your whole family?
ME: Uh...
MADELEINE: Mama?  You know who I have a crush on the MOST?
ME: Who?
MADELEINE: (joyously) YOU!
ME: You mean you want to marry me?!?
MADELEINE: (in all seriousness) No, I want to marry Julia.
ME: I bet when you're older, you'll wind up falling in love with and marrying someone you haven't even met yet.
MADELEINE: Well Mama.  One time, when Auntie Caitlyn and Julia were going into a restaurant, I saw the waiter, and I was like: (making a face with wide eyes and an O-mouth.)
ME:  You were?  How come?
MADELEINE: Because...I thought he was HANDSOME. 
ME: So did you have a crush on the waiter?
MADELEINE: (cheerily) Mmm-hmm.  Because Mama.  I felt it in my HEART.

Oh boy.  Madeleine seems to have crushes left and right.  Some on family members, some on strange adult men, and some on fictional characters from books and movies.  This kid is too in love for her own good!

And then we have this conversation I had with Julia:

JULIA: Mom, do you wanna know a sign I saw on a store that I thought seemed a little GREEDY?
ME: What?
JULIA: I saw a sign that said: "We take gold."
ME: Oh, well you know, jewelry stores will usually give people money in exchange for their gold jewelry.
JULIA: No, Mom, I don't think it was a jewelry store.  And I just, like, thought it seemed greedy, because it's like...they're trying to get RICH or something.

First of all, I'd say MOST business-owners at least have the HOPE of getting rich.  Secondly, I think Julia is taking the sign at its most literal.  Like, as if when someone walks into the store with any sort of gold, the store clerks get all caveman like.  "WE TAKE GOLD!" they grunt, ripping the golden necklace chains off of peoples' necks.

And finally, here's one more conversation with Julia:

JULIA: Mom?  When a road says "T-E-R" after the street name, does that stand for "TURKESS?"
ME: No, it stands for "terrace."
JULIA: Oh.  I think "turkess" sounds better.  It sounds like more of a word that means "ROAD."

What can I say?  Are these kids just TOTALLY WITH THE PROGRAM or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment