Friday, July 11, 2014

Barbie Grad School

Julia's latest pretend-play game is a school for Barbie dolls, which she plays while sitting underneath the dining room table.  The Barbies all sit on various dining room chairs, depending on which class they're in.  And yes, they are all in classes, with a particular teacher, despite the fact that this is not an elementary school.

What kind of school is it, then?
 
JULIA: Well, they have high school, college, but I don't have anyone IN college, and they have grad school.

Interested in what in particular these students do while at high school and graduate school?  

JULIA: Like, I make them have school picture day and, like, show what they want to be when they grow up so the teachers can tell them if they'd be good for doing that.

School picture day basically consisted of various Barbies singing a song that Julia made up that goes like this: "I look fabulous, and everybody knooooows it!"
I literally had it in my head for the rest of the afternoon after hearing one Barbie after another sing it the other day.

To give you a glimpse of what a day in the life of high or graduate school is like for these Barbies, I snapped some photos of them while they attended class last night.

This is the High School class.  The teacher is Mrs. Dunavan, who bears the unfortunate burden of nearly everyone mispronouncing her name.  For some reason, the students are constantly pronouncing it as "Doh-navan," and poor Mrs. DUNavan is constantly correcting them.  I have no idea why Julia decided to add this detail to her pretend play, but there's often no good explanation for why my kids come up with the ideas they do.  At any rate, the students in Mrs. Dunavan's class are Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Tinkerbill, and Silver Mist. 



This is one of the grad school classrooms.  The teacher of this class is Mrs. McKee.  (I initially wrote her name as "McKey" and Julia was quick to proclaim that I had spelled it wrong.  Because not only does she come up with names for her dolls, but she has her own particular spelling in mind when she does so.)
This graduate class is made up of students Luna, Grace, Elsa, Merliah, Isabelle, and Genevieve.  They do a lot of singing in this class.  I overhear their songs all the time.  Elsa, of course, sings "Let it Go" when it's her turn to perform, but the rest of them sing songs that Julia makes up on the spot.


This is the second graduate school classroom.  The teacher is Mrs. Concovich, and her students are Witcha, Anna, Ariel, Jasmine, and Rapunzel.  They ALSO sing a lot in class.  In fact, the Barbies in general have a habit of bursting into song whenever Julia plays with them.

The last grad school teacher is Mrs. Elikee, and she has Emerin, Barbara, Julia, Blair, and Cinderella in her class.  For some reason I missed taking their picture, but you probably get the idea from the above images.  They, as well, sit side by side on their particular dining room chair during class time. 

I *definitely* don't think we have enough Barbie dolls in this house.  In fact, I think we'd better buy some more so that Julia can have at least a FEW Barbies attend the college at this particular school.  It's kind of unfair to the poor college teachers to be student-less, don't you think?  I guess for the meantime we'll have to wait until Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Tinkerbell and Silver Mist graduate from high school to get a good peek at the college classrooms. 

I wonder if Mrs. Dunavan's incoming class of high schoolers will be able to pronounce her name.  I can't wait to find out in Barbie High School: The Next Generation!

1 comment:

  1. I always wore my ballerina costume to class in grad school. Where I had one teacher and one classroom.

    ReplyDelete