Friday, July 25, 2014

Baby's Checkup with Dr. Madeleine

Last night, Madeleine got busy with the play doctor kit, giving a full check-up to one of her baby dolls.


After administering the whole exam, Madeleine ran over to report on how it went.

MADELEINE: Mama!  The baby has been SO well...epsept...SCREAM and CRY when I put the BALL scissors around him.  So...I gave him OFFICIAL reward of gorillas and a milkie cup.

Most babies scream and cry during their check-ups, in my experience.  Especially during shots.  So the fact that the baby was SO well is truly remarkable news.  However, I'm not surprised he screamed and cried when Dr. Madeleine put the ball scissors around him.  I mean, I'm a adult, and I don't think I'd like ball scissors put around me.  I can't imagine what sort of doctor needs to put scissors around a baby.  Was Madeleine cutting his umbilical cord or something??  At any rate, I'm glad Madeleine OFFICIALLY rewarded the baby with gorillas:






On second thought, maybe the gorillas are less of a reward and more of a means of inspiring sheer and utter terror in poor baby.

I guess I should expect such a random prize as gorillas from the kid who just carried on this conversation with me, upon waking and coming downstairs:

MADELEINE: Mama?  I feel a little EMBARRASSED, but I think there's DIRT on the bathroom sink.
ME: Oh, that's not dirt.  It's just coffee.  I ground the coffee in here so I wouldn't wake everyone up with the noise.
MADELEINE: Oh.  And Mama?  Do you think it's WEIRD that I'm still learning how to talk?
ME: No, I don't think it's weird.
MADELEINE: Yeah.  Because...Ally on "Curious George" is still learning how to talk.  Because she can't say "responsibility."
ME: But you can say that, you big girl!
MADELEINE: Well Mama.  I can't say OTHER words that...that...that I never learned when I was a BABY.  Uh, Mama?  Can you itch my back?  It really needs a massage.

As usual, I'm at a loss for words.

1 comment:

  1. I guess she never learned how to say "already" when she was a baby...

    ReplyDelete