Monday, March 5, 2012

Style, Pictures, and Colors

Julia went to school rocking another stylin' outfit today:



She has been SO excited to wear this outfit. She has had it picked out for five days. I'm serious. She has also had an outfit picked out for tomorrow for the same length of time. I can take the hint that she doesn't want to allow me ANY control over what she wears anymore. She is so done with the boring, regular old outfits I pick out.

Because of all of the above, she was not at all willing to let me have any input on anything she put on her body today. So we wound up with a bit of drama when I stepped in and told her she couldn't wear her Hello Kitty shoes, which have just been handed down to us, and are a full two sizes bigger than what Julia currently wears.

JULIA: Well, Mama, then what SHOULD I wear?
ME: How about your sneakers?
JULIA: No! Mama, I ALREADY promised Simi that I wouldn't wear sneakers the next time I come to school!
ME: How about your black dress shoes?
JULIA: (angrily pouting on the couch)
ME: Julia? Why don't you go upstairs and get your black dress shoes?
JULIA: Mama, I'm just feeling FRUSTRATED!
ME: I'm sorry you're feeling that way. What's the matter?
JULIA: Everyone just keeps TALKING to me about what shoes I'm going to wear!

Wow. Please, all you blog readers, forgive me for my error. How could I do that to my own daughter? I mean, talking about what shoes she's going to wear, especially when she's the one who brought up the subject, is about as egregious as it gets.

As you can see in the picture, she decided to go with snow boots.

Madeleine has unfortunately picked up some of Julia's contrary behavior; as you all know, she wants to say and do everything that Julia does. Unhappily, this means she has learned to spew out contrary nonsense when she's feeling aggravated. Case in point: yesterday as Madeleine sat grumpily on the couch, pouting over some inane thing, Auntie Caitlyn, who was loading pictures onto her computer, attempted to cheer Madeleine up. Clicking on a picture she had just downloaded, she called it to Madeleine's attention to try and distract her from her melt-down.



AUNTIE CAITLYN: (pointing to the above picture) Madeleine, who's that?
MADELEINE: (grouchily) No! That's NOT Madeleine.

Those kids of mine SURE know how to give it to you when they're angry.

While she wasn't in the mood for pictures at that moment, Madeleine certainly did enjoy doing "Funny Faces" on Auntie Caitlyn's computer, in which the camera distorts the contours of a peoples' faces in order to make them look as if they're in some sort of funhouse mirror. Madeleine's favorite image was the "swirl," in which the person looking into the camera got to watch her head twisting sideways or upside down into a spiral:


Melded, swirling Madeleine and Mommy heads.

Because she has no other way to describe the phenomenon shown above, Madeleine took to asking Caitlyn: "Can we do Funny Faces? Can you do 'What's happening to Madeleine's head' for me?"

One thing I love about Madeleine's growing verbal skills is her ability to come up with a creative way to work around terms and vocabulary she doesn't yet know. As in this morning, as she lay on the ground coloring. All yesterday afternoon, I kept asking the girls to put the top on the uncapped red marker I saw lying on the ground. Neither child paid me any heed, so finally, hours later, I popped the cap back on. This morning, as Madeleine began coloring with the red, the color began to dry out.

"Oh no, Mommy!" she wailed. "The red is turning off!"

Hopefully this will be a lesson learned, and the girls will listen to me next time I ask them to recap a marker, so that none of the other colors wind up turning off.

3 comments:

  1. I kinda like Julia's outfit! (I mean minus the boots...but I don't dare bring up the topic of shoes with her for fear of getting my head bitten off!) I actually just sent you some more pictures of Julia's fashion statements!

    I'm surprised Madeleine hasn't begged you to do "funny faces" on your computer yet! Luckily I sent you some of those photos so you can just bring those up and pretend you're really doing "What's happening to Madeleine's head?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - While watching Tangled in her room with her, I saw Julia's stockpile of clothes laid out on her dresser and I thought to myself "yeesh - Courtney wasn't kidding about Julia making sure she has no say in getting her dressed!"

      Delete
  2. Yeah, her outfit is cute - but it's a summer sundress with a very thin cardigan over it on a freezing cold day. Not to mention the black spandex pants with hole in the knee. Not what I would have picked out on a cold and windy winter day. But whatever, I sent her to school in her heavy snow jacket so she'd still be able to play outside without freezing!

    ReplyDelete