Friday, March 9, 2012

More on Music

The girls' latest choice of driving music is the soundtrack to "Jesus Christ, Superstar," which Julia has decided will serve as our Lenten version of Christmas carols as we lead up to Easter. Julia has taken to singing the refrain from the title song in all sorts of public venues, so that as we're walking through stores, churches, the school hallway, and what not, she is bellowing out, "Jeeeeesus Chriiiiist, Jeeeeeesus Chriiiiist, who are you what have you sacrifiiiiiiiced?" I'm sure her musical additions are heartily appreciated. Madeleine is attempting to wrap her head around the names of the various tracks on the CD so she can request her favorite songs. Some of her requests are easy to understand:

MADELEINE: Mommy? I want "Christ Superstar?"

Others are a bit too vague to allow me full understanding of which specific song she wants:

MADELEINE: Mommy, I want "Jesus Christ?"
ME: Okay. You mean "Jesus Christ Superstar," or one of the other songs that has the words "Jesus Christ?"
MADELEINE: Um, "Jesus Christ."

Sometimes I am at a complete loss as to what song she's requesting, but luckily, Julia can often translate Madeleine-isms for me:

MADELEINE: Mommy, I want "What's Happening to the Bus?"
ME: "What's Happening to the Bus??" I don't know what that is, honey.
JULIA: Madeleine, do you mean "WHAT'S the BUZZ?"
MADELEINE: Um, "What's Happening to the Bus?"
ME: (singing) Does it go "What's the buzz, tell me what's happening...?"
MADELEINE: Yes. I want "What's the Bus."

Mystery solved, thanks to Detective Julia.

Speaking of a child's misinterpretation of the lyrics to pop/rock songs, I present to you, on video, Julia singing the Spice Girls' "If You Wanna Be My Mother:"

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha! I like Julia's Lyrics better. Love you all, XOXO, Yiayia

    ReplyDelete