Monday, January 9, 2012

Lost in Translation

As well as Madeleine speaks for her age, occasionally things still get lost in translation. Luckily, this morning, Julia was able to help decipher the mystery of the "clicker" Madeleine so desperately wanted.

MADELEINE: Daddy? I need the clicker.
ETHAN: What clicker, honey?
MADELEINE: Can you get me the clicker?
ETHAN: What clicker?
MADELEINE: I need the clicker.
ETHAN: Court, do you know what Madeleine is talking about when she wants the "clicker?"
ME: I have no idea.
MADELEINE: Can you get me the clicker?
ETHAN: What clicker do you need?
JULIA: Hang on! I think I know what she's talking about! Madeleine, do you mean the gate?
MADELEINE: No. I need the clicker.
JULIA: Madeleine, can you tell me what a clicker is?
MADELEINE: It's... it's to my toe.
JULIA AND ETHAN: (simultaneously) The CLIPPERS!

It turns out that Madeleine's big toenail had cracked and she was looking for Ethan to clip it for her. Or perhaps I should say click it for her.

Later on this morning, it was Madeleine who seemed confused, as we participated in her weekly Creative Movement class. Although we sing the same songs every week, and Madeleine is well seasoned in the various activities, she felt the need to suddenly pipe up today. Equipped with shakers and jingle bells, the kids and parents rattled and shook their instruments along with the "Stop and Go" song, waiting for the singer to declare "STOP!," at which point the instruments would freeze, waiting for the "GO!" signal to resume their noise.

RECORDING: (singing) Let's play Stop & Go! Let's play Stop & Go!
KIDS, PARENTS: (shaking instruments wildly)
RECORDING: (singing) you never know when you're gonna hear it stop... (spoken) STOP!

Dead silence. Everyone frozen, vigilant.


MADELEINE: What HAPPENED?


Back to dead silence.

RECORDING: GO!
KIDS, PARENTS: (resuming their shaking)


Personally, I would have gotten an even bigger kick out of it she was still in her "At HAPPOON?" phase...

1 comment:

  1. For a girl who needs a clicker for her to my toe problem, I think I can forgive her spaced out response during music class! She has a real talent for communicating even when she doesn't know what she's talking about!!! Love, Yiayia

    ReplyDelete