Friday, January 6, 2012

Bedtime interruptions

Things Julia thinks are worth waking me up for, or getting up out of bed for:

Three mornings ago
JULIA: (coming into my bedroom) Mama! I made this for you!



ME: (groggily) That's great, honey! You wrote all of our names.
JULIA: But, Mama, did you even know I know how to do LOWER-CASE?
ME: Wow! I didn't know.
JULIA: Yeah, but I forgot how to do a lower case "E," so I just didn't do that one.

Two mornings ago
JULIA: (coming in at the crack of dawn) Mommy!
ME: (barely awake) Hmm?
JULIA: (whispering) Mama! I just need to tell you something.
ME: What is it?
JULIA: (still whispering) Mama, when you call Maeve's mother to set up a play date, tell her to bring Maeve to (our address) and tell her that she needs to park in the guest spot and then go in the front door and ring the doorbell to our condo.
ME: Okay.
JULIA: Okay. Good-night. (leaving and going back to her bedroom and sleeping until 8:30.)

Two evenings ago
JULIA: (coming into our bedroom an hour past her bedtime) Mama, my finger feels numb.
ME: It does? Where?
JULIA: (pointing to her knuckle)
ME: What do you mean it feels numb? What does it feel like?
JULIA: It feels like hurting.
ME: Well, if it was really numb, you wouldn't be able to feel it at all.
JULIA: Oh.
ME: (poking around on her finger) Tell me when I touch the spot that hurts.
JULIA: (silence)
ME: So is it hurting, or not?
JULIA: (smiling sheepishly) Well... it WAS...
ME, ETHAN: Go to bed, Julia.

An interesting side note: Julia should, in fact, know exactly what numb feels like, since we had had a discussion about feet falling asleep earlier that day. As Julia put it, "Yeah, it's so annoying when your foot falls asleep, because then it feels all like there's, like, sugar under your skin."


And finally, moving on to Madeleine, who spent much of the morning as an astronaut, playing with the giant balloon she got at Julia's dentist appointment yesterday:



1 comment:

  1. Nice to know that children still obsess about minutia creating new ways to keep parents from uninterrupted sleep patterns! Love, Yiayia

    ReplyDelete