Monday, January 30, 2012

Discussions

JULIA: Mom, I know you think I would want a pink wedding dress, but did you know that I actually want a different color dress? Because I love that color that's, like, sparkly... uh, is that silver?
ME: I think so. Silver is usually a pretty sparkly color.
JULIA: Wait, but what's gold?
ME: (showing her the band of my wedding ring) That's gold. Gold is more of a shiny color, not sparkly.
JULIA: Yeah, I want a silver dress because I think that's so beautiful.
ME: Okay, sounds good. Do you think you'll get married and have a wedding some day?
JULIA: Yes. But not until I'm a grown-up... because... KIDS CAN'T GET MARRIED!
ME: You're right, you can't get married until you're an adult. It's against the law for kids to live all by themselves without a parent.
JULIA: Why?
ME: Well, can you imagine if you were married right now and you lived alone in a house with the person you were married to and there were no parents around to take care of you?
JULIA: Yeah! Like, imagine if someone was three, and her husband was also three, and she had a baby in her tummy, and they didn't have any grown-ups around! Because, like, kids don't really know how to use the stove, and they can't really read, so they wouldn't even know how to make dinner!

Exactly. The essential functions one needs in order to be self-sufficient are to know how to use a stove and to be able to read. Among many other things, of course.

Meanwhile, Madeleine continues with her potty talk:

ME: Okay, we need to try the potty before we go pick up Julia from school.
MADELEINE: (concentrating, then letting out a stream of pee, followed by a large, groaning gaseous eruption that sounded like a humpback whale singing) Who's TALKING?
ME: Who's talking? Who's tooting!?
MADELEINE: No, who's TALKING?
ME: I don't know who's talking.
MADELEINE: (thoughtful) I think... my PEE-PEES are talking!

No comments:

Post a Comment